Expert Review: TaylorMade Distance Plus Golf BallsPublished on 09/15/2023 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf balls which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
TaylorMade Distance Plus. All photos courtesy of Alex Rothery
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
The Taylormade Distance Plus golf ball is specialized in generating greater distance and speed from anywhere on the course. This golf ball is ideal for golfers who prioritize soft touch and greenside feel around the green, immediate feedback on all shots, and excellent distance from the tee box at a lower price. The new Plus Alignment Aid is a nice touch, and the two-piece construction provides scuff resistance that will extend the life of the ball. For the average golfer or beginner, the easy alignment, and low driver spin performance, makes this one of the best distance golf balls in the market, especially for those with slower swing speeds.
About the golf ball I own
- Model: 2022 TaylorMade Distance Plus
- Color: White
- Avg Score: 80-82
- Handicap: 12
- Experience: 10+ years of golf
- Right/Left-handed: Right-handed
- Typical Shot Shape: Soft fade
- Typical Trajectory: Medium height
- Club Swing Speed: 92-94mph
- When I bought this: March 2022
- Days tested: 7-10 days/rounds
- Where I’ve used it: Multiple rounds here in Indiana and Illinois and practice greens.
- Weather and wind conditions: Played in colder and warm weather. Both wet and dry as well.
- Turf conditions: Some courses have been soft and wet, while other courses have been rock hard.
- Green speeds: Fast greens, mostly.
How they perform
What I was looking for
As always, maximum distance for me is a must, especially from the tee box. Trying to keep that while prioritizing feel and as well as spin is the challenging part. I was looking for a golf ball that could check all of these boxes. I also wanted a ball that I could putt with and not have to think too much. The alignment stamp and soft ionomer cover resulted in a decent performance on the greens.
Why I chose this golf ball
The Taylormade Distance Plus golf balls met all my needs in a golf ball with an amazing price and performed better than expected as well for my golf game. I did consider the TaylorMade Tour Response or the Callaway Supersoft. I feel that the Tour Response has more of a soft feel over the Distance Plus, which makes sense since the Tour Response ball is designed for touch and feel over distance. However, the Taylormade Distance golf balls are not that far behind in the soft feel department and pull in more ball speed, accuracy, extra distance, consistency, and easy compression compared to the others. I like the fact that the ball is offered in two different colors, white and yellow.
I also noted that the Taylormade Distance Plus is incredibly affordable compared to premium golf balls such as the Titleist Pro V1 or Callaway Chrome ball.
What I love about it
- Distance: The distance with this ball is consistent and reliable. It was designed for speed with its 77 compression rating, giving those couple extra yards on shots on the fairways or anywhere on the course. Compression refers to how hard a golf ball is.
- Feel: The ball has an ultra-soft feel with great compression.
- Green Spin: In conditions outside of a very dry hard green, I would get the ball to sit down well on any green. I was not bringing it back to the pin, but it had no issue checking up.
- Durability: Outside of typical scuffs, this golf ball holds up very well. I would play a complete round or two before I would see any scuff or signs of wear.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Green Spin: I’ve found with greens that are hard and dry, I struggle to get my chips to sit down; there's just not enough wedge spin for a low-handicap or mid-handicap golfer. Most golf balls would struggle in this situation as well, but supersoft golf balls, such as Chrome Supersoft Callaway or TaylorMade Tour Response golf balls, would be a better option than the Taylormade Distance Plus ball in these conditions.
Best shot with this golf ball
One of my local courses here in Indiana has a Par 4 totaling 295 yards and requires precision. The green is completely surrounded by water. There is the option to lay up down the left side and be 120 out or to go for it, but anything under 265 yards and left or right more than 20 yards is water. My Distance Plus ball had been penetrating well all day, so I went ahead and shot the gap! Landed it perfectly 15 yards short of the green, and then proceeded to check up a beautiful chip shot. It bounced 3-4 feet from the flag and settled perfectly a couple of feet out!
Value for the money vs. other options
I feel this is a quality golf ball that is well worth the cost compared to some of the more expensive golf balls, such as the ProV1, Bridgestone, or Chrome Soft golf balls. The TaylorMade Distance Plus comes in at less than half the cost, which is great value for the performance, distance, and feel it provides. It makes for a good choice of golf ball for your game. Whether you have a slow swing speed or a high swing speed, this ball proves to be a good option for your bag.
The Taylormade Distance Plus will continue to be one of my go-to golf balls. The performance I have had with this is just as good, if not better, than top-dollar golf balls out there. Anyone looking to improve their game, whether you have a high handicap or mid, should give this ball a shot. Great feel, low compression, side stamp, and low-drag aerodynamics result in a great value.
If you want to