Expert Review: Union Flite Pro Snowboard Bindings · 2023Published on 07/13/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the bindings, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2019.
My board and bindings on top of Arapahoe Basin in Colorado. All photos courtesy of Stephanie Craig
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the bindings, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2019.
The Union Flite Pro bindings are a fantastic, lightweight, and responsive binding for any progressing beginner to intermediate rider.
About the gear
- Model: 2020 Union Flite Pro bindings
- Size: M
- Burton channel compatible: Yes
- Mini disc: Yes
- Height: 5’7”
- Weight: 127 lbs
- Experience: 21 years
- When I bought these: December 2019
- Days tested: 3 full seasons
- Board: Alibi 151cm, or Never Summer Funslinger 153cm
- Boot: Atomic Sniper Snowboard Boots size 8.5
- Where I’ve used it: All over the Colorado mountains and backcountry
- Terrain: Backcountry, groomers, trees, and fresh powder
How they perform
What I was looking for
I needed new bindings and the local shop only had these, I am very happy with them, I just needed a solid binding that would allow me to venture the whole mountain.
Why I chose this gear
My previous bindings broke and I was in a last-minute purchase moment. This is the only binding my local store had in my size in stock to purchase that day.
What I love about them
- Binding adjustability in boots: This binding so far has been transferred to my daughter and husband and fits each boot great!
- Stance adjustability: I think this binding has a great range for accommodating each rider's stance preference.
- Comfort: I think these are pretty comfortable, I do sometimes wish they had more padding on the ankle strap.
- Carving: These bindings provide excellent carving with their lightweight duraflex baseplate and highback, super easy to maneuver my board around. These bindings are super lightweight and they are great for beginner riders to advance riders.
- Ease of turn initiation: The Flite Pro bindings are super lightweight and offer a soft/medium flex that offers me the ability to explore anywhere on the slopes, very responsive with their padded lightweight ankle and toe straps, keeping me strapped in all day long.
- Buttering: Super lightweight, flexible responsive highbacks, baseplate, and straps offer me the most comfortable binding to throw down butters. Having the soft/medium flex really helps ease me into my trick.
- Straps: Lightweight and durable straps truly lock me in and provide a padded ankle strap to ensure comfort for every rider. Very comfortable all day, blizzard or sunshine.
- Buckles: The buckles are very easy to use and hold up great! No problems ever with ice build-up or not being able to unbuckle.
- Durability: They have held up for going on 4 seasons for me now. My left strap did come undone on my last season, but it was an easy fix! Just had to tighten the strap bolts.
- Weight: These bindings are very lightweight, especially compared to my Union STR bindings. I can remove my bindings and carry them in my backpack and not feel dragged down while hiking in the backcountry.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Shock absorption: The Flite pros are one of the lightest bindings out there, on a icy day, the shock absorption could be a little more focused on. I could feel the hard impacts after a jump on an icy day.
Favorite moment with this gear
I love being able to strap and get out on the slopes. I really enjoy how lightweight they are, I don't feel weighed down in the powder. My previous bindings were so easy to collect ice in and prevent an easy strap in. So far I have not experienced any ice build-up or stiff straps after a cold day. I love being able to ride through fresh powder and feel like I am floating on top of the snow. Lightweight gear really does make a difference
Value for the money vs. other options
They are great for the price! I could spend a little more to get a little more comfort, but overall they are a fantastic binding for those in a pinch or on a budget. The Jones Meteorite snowboard bindings are one of my top favorite bindings for comfort.
Overall, I love these bindings, they are perfect for someone who is progressing into intermediate riding and loves to ride the whole mountain. Perfect for those riders on a budget.