Expert Review: Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5. All photos courtesy of Tappen Walton
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
The Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Putter is built for any golfer looking for help with hitting more consistent, solid putts. Perfect for any skill-level golfer, it is made with extreme precision and is a premier brand. Ultimately, this putter is a can’t miss and will truly help hole more putts, and who doesn’t want that?
About the club I own
- Model: 2021 Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5
- Shape: Mid-Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Small Slant Hosel
- Balance Point: Maximum Toe Hang
- Shaft Length: 33”
- Grip Type: FlatCat
- Finish: Classic Finish
- Average Score: 76
- Handicap: 4
- Experience: 10+ years playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Arc-Toe Flow
- Golf Ball Used: Pro V1
- Height: 5’9”
- When I bought the putter: May 2021
- Days tested: 1 year (after 1 day of testing before purchase, I knew right away it was the one)
- Where I’ve used it: Cowboys Golf Club
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Every condition. High and low winds, dry and wet conditions, and cold and hot.
- Green Speed: 10.2
- Grass Type: Bermuda Grass
How it performs
What I was looking for
I had long been searching for answers when it came to greens and my putter. Mostly, I was continuously met with more questions and frustration using any putter combo I could find. I consistently struggled with hitting solid putts and alignment and rolling the ball with proper speed off the clubface. That all changed when I put the Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.5 into my bag.
Why I chose this club
I considered this putter and the blade version but chose the mid-mallet look simply based on personal preference and feel.
It was one of the easiest purchases I have ever made, plain and simple. It was an easy investment, especially for a sport where clubs are essential to how well I can play. The only con is the price, but that should honestly be a pro since the price is only there due to the superior craftsmanship and attention to detail from Scotty Cameron.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: I absolutely love the feel off the face as it just feels pure. Nothing I have ever felt before. The face allows me to consistently hit puts with similar speed regardless of swing length, resulting in more consistent putts.
- Forgiveness: Similar to the feel, the forgiveness is outstanding in terms of still hitting solid putts due to the face being hot.
- Weight: I love the way I can further customize the putter due to the performance balanced weighting system designed in the putter, allowing me to fine-tune and get that perfectly balanced putter.
- Length: It’s easy to pick and choose my desired length as this putter comes in 33”, 34”, and 35” options. Choosing the length of the putter is mostly based on where your arms hang at your side and can vary based on each individual's height which is why I chose the 33” option.
- Aesthetic Appeal: What is there not to like about the look? Putting has a lot to do with confidence, and when I step over a putt and see that pure-looking putter, I just know I will make it. The putter looks like something I would draw up in my dreams.
- Grip Feel: The stock grips are great, which has much to do with personal preference as the stock grip is slim and somewhat slippery. I chose to go with a Flat Cat grip on mine.
- Customization: There are endless customizations available from Scotty, allowing me to make this putter my own. From colors to engravings, I can pretty much do whatever I want to my putter as long as I'm willing to pay for it. However, it takes some time if customers choose this route as they can wait up to two to three months for custom orders. I personally did not customize mine yet, however, I really want to send it in during the offseason and get my initials engraved.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Alignment: Not an issue, just not something I love. The line on the putter is simple and sleek.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
I am not one to brag or share how great my game is, but I will brag on a product! Golf success stories are some of the best because, as we all know, golf is just plain hard. About a week or two after putting this bad boy in my bag, I had one of my most memorable rounds of golf. The funny thing is I probably had one of my worst ball-striking days, but all I can remember is making 10-footers left and right for par. I somehow managed a 74 with only hitting six greens in regulation. Yikes! This putter was dynamic and saved me so many strokes!
Value for the money vs. other options
Many people will either spend their money on a new driver or new irons as these are crucial parts of the game. However, as the old saying goes, “driver for show and putt for dough” sums up really how myself and others should view the value of a good putter. The retail price is $399.99, so why would I spend that much on one club? Well, as many know, the putter is the great equalizer, and even if I’m hitting the ball horribly, I can save my round and have so much fun!
Compared to other putters such as the PXG Hellcat which is $149 retail or even the Mizuno M-Craft putter which is $299 retail, the Scotty Cameron is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of feel, look, and knowing I am getting everything I can from a single club. I highly recommend it. I can even go the used route and have great success compared to other brand putters, as the Scotty truly lasts against the test of time.
Verdict: It's a 10/10! There is no match for the Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 as it outperforms many other putters in terms of feel, looks, consistency, and overall appeal. I hole more putts and have so much more fun simply by having put this in my bag.