Expert Review: Callaway Superfast BOLD Golf BallsPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in July of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Joe Mallock
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in July of 2022.
The Callaways Superfast BOLD is geared for a higher handicap golfer, and for players who need a ball that’s easier to track in the air. That being said, I have a single-digit handicap and I still really enjoyed playing this ball. It’s advertised as a complete ball with distance, feel, and control…and actually delivers! I was able to spin the ball with my scoring irons and still drive the ball as far as normal.
About the golf ball
- Model: 2022 Callaway Superfast BOLD
- Color: Bright Yellow
- Average score: 79-84
- Handicap: 7.0
- Experience: 25 years of golf
- Right/Left-handed: Right-handed
- Typical shot shape: Fade
- Typical trajectory: High
- Club swing speed: 108 mph
- When I bought this: July 2022
- Days tested: Three rounds of golf
- Where I’ve used it: Black Creek Club in Chattanooga, TN
- Weather and wind conditions: Sunny, hot and humid, minimal wind
- Turf conditions: Lush grass, slightly damp
- Green speeds: Moderately fast
How it performs
What I was looking for
While I love the distance and feel that I get from the Callaway Chrome Soft golf ball, I have been on the hunt for something more inexpensive. I was trying to find a golf ball with a similar performance but for half of the cost.
What I love about it
- Distance: The distance on this ball was solid across my entire bag, from wedges to driver. The Superfast balls have a high speed core designed to maximize speed and distance, making my distances roughly the same as when using the Chrome Soft ball.
- Feel: The feel was excellent for a ball that only costs $24/dozen. When I flushed the ball it felt like I was hitting a marshmallow. However, unlike other soft balls, the ball got great distance as well. The ball has a hybrid cover with Callaway’s patented PARALOID Impact Modifier to get more distance, a high launch, and a soft feel. It’s definitely working!
- Green Spin: The ball produced good spin around the green. My scoring irons landed softly and came to a quick stop.
- Durability: I had a great experience with the Superfast BOLD balls because the ball lasted the entire round, and was ready for 18 more holes afterward! Plus, it seemed like the ball was never particularly dirty by the time I got to the green. When it was dirty, the dirt was easier to wipe off than on a white ball.
- Color: The bold yellow color definitely stands out and makes it really easy to track the ball in the air. Plus, the cover does not have a tacky feel which, for me, is a good thing. Lots of colored balls can have a tacky feel which I don’t like because it feels like it slows down putts on the green.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Green Spin: My greenside chips were able to hop and check, but tended to roll out a little more than I wanted. Still, the results were consistent and I got used to the amount of spin and played my shots accordingly.
Best shot with this golf ball
On the 16th hole, I had a 154-yard shot from the rough to a narrow green. I took an 8 iron and pured it! The ball landed about six yards past the pin and checked up after just a few feet. Hitting my 8 iron 161 yards with a soft landing, and a little check (from the rough no less), is exactly what I want from my golf ball!
Value for the money vs. other options
The Callaway Superfast BOLD is the best value for the price in my opinion. The Callaway Warbird balls are a little cheaper, but they are really hard and I couldn’t find any touch with them. The Callaway Supersoft balls offered soft touch around the green, but I lost some distance on my longer shots and drives.
I am a big fan of the 2022 Callaway Superfast BOLD golf balls. They cost a fraction of a top-tier ball, yet they deliver distance AND touch. I will be playing this ball again for sure!