Expert Review: Stockli Stockli Laser AX Skis W Dxm 13 Bindings · 2021
This review is my honest opinion of the skis, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the skis, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
The Stockli Laser AX skis are an ideal choice for the advanced to expert skier who is looking to push every boundary. Stockli produces professional-grade skis with the same construction as for World Cup, national, and Olympic skiers rather than separating the average consumer from the pros.
About the gear
- Model: 2022 Stockli Laser AX
- Size: 183cm
- Height: 6’3”
- Weight: 205 lbs
- Experience: 50 years
- When I bought these: November 2021
- Days tested: 1
- Mount position: Standard Mount
- Boots: 2022 HEAD WRC 140s
- Boot Size: 31.5
- Bindings: 2021 Fischer Z13 Bindings
- Where I’ve used it: Alta Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Sundance, Snowbasin, Sun Valley
- Terrain: On Piste, Off-Piste, Groomers, Moguls, Steep Chutes, Powder, Trees, Traverses
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for a ski that was constructed for the highest level of personal and professional-grade quality and the Stockli Laser AX delivered – especially in the ability to carve tight radius turns with precision, coupled with speed as the titanal steel plate stabilizes the ski from tip to tail. As a professional ski instructor who teaches high-level skiers, I needed a ski that could push me to my limits and then take me beyond, and it keeps on pushing an athlete to better connect to groomers and hard pack snow thus holding in edge in all conditions.
Why I chose this gear
The Stockli brand is arguably the best on the market. I owned, experienced, and demoed many professionally designed high performance skis, such as the Salomon Rush GS and Nordica Doberman ski, and the Laser AX surpassed my expectations by creating a carving ski that is effortless to get on edge, remain stable in the turn radius, and reduces chatter and unwanted vibrations. The Stockli Laser AX skis have become a game-changer on the mountain. I love these carving skis in almost every situation and condition. This is my go-to carver and one I use for professional clinics and ski exams as it affords precision at every turn. This ski is the Ferrari of the industry.
What I love about them
- Speed: The Stockli Laser AX FIS quality construction is designed for high-speed performance carving. When properly weighted and edged, skiers will not experience chatter through their turns, but rather a significant rebound in every arc.
- Edge Hold: Edge hold on the Laser AX at 78mm underfoot will generate tremendous control at all phases of the turn radius as its parabolic design generates an impressive ability to retain ski-to-snow contact.
- Turns: Arcing turns in the Laser AX is without a doubt its greatest performance factor on hard-packed groomers or icy conditions. The titinal plate creates torsional control and stability through all three phases of the turn radius.
- Groomers: The Stockli Laser AX will hold a 17-meter turn radius and on the groomers, skiers feel this ski rebound out of turns and makes for easy transitions to the new outside ski like no other.
- Weight: While the Laser AX is a heavier ski, it provides incredible stability on edge in turns. The full-length titinal plate produces varying rigidity through the ski, which often accounts for added weight.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Powder: It takes an advanced/expert powder skier to access powder conditions with this 78mm waisted ski underfoot. Not my first choice for a powder day.
- Trees: The Laser AX ski in the hands of a capable skier can no doubt hit the trees but the elite carving design can be prohibitive as it’s a very stiff ski.
- Moguls: The Laser AX 78mm underfoot design can create a challenge in the moguls but a gifted turn can shred the zipper line of any mogul field. Intermediate skiers may struggle in moguls due to its stiff flex.
- Durability: The Laser AX is an extremely durable ski. As a result of the metal edge quality and density, a skier may experience some top sheet cross cuts.
Favorite moment with this gear
Skiers will unlock and even hit an entirely new gear while carving in this ski. My most memorable moment with these skis under my feet was during a professional ski instructor clinic when I arced unbelievable turns during a demonstration by really positioning my center of mass over the inside edge of the outside ski. I can’t say enough about how this ski elevated my game.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Stockli Laser AX is typically more expensive by one to two hundred dollars but worth every additional penny for the aggressive carver. This is not a consumer-built bender. It will have skiers arcing turns like none other. Stockli outperforms base model carving skis produced by Rossignol, K2, or Head due to their professional grade construction and quality design.
For those who are looking for a massively impressive carving ski that creates a stable and exact turn radius, this is the ski.