Expert Review: Nemo Disco 15 Sleeping Bag - Men's
This review is my honest opinion of the sleeping bag, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2022.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the sleeping bag, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2022.
The Nemo Disco 15 °F men's sleeping bag is designed for cold weather, however, through the use of Nemo’s Thermo Gills, I can change the temperature rating by 10–15 degrees. It is an incredible sleeping bag that brings equivalent comfort no matter how one sleeps. Plus, it is ideal for side sleepers like me.
About the bag I own
- Model: 2022 Nemo Disco 15 °F Men's Sleeping Bag
- Size: Long
- Material: Down
- Temperature Rating: 15 °F
- Height: 6’1’’ / 184 cm
- Weight: 200 lbs / 90 kg
- Experience: 16 years of camping/backpacking and founder of Tahoe Adventurers, a non-profit that brings people outdoors.
- When I bought it: June 2022
- Days tested: 5
- Pack: 2015 Osprey Aether 70L
- Total pack weight: 50 lbs
- Used for Tent camping, backpacking
- Where I’ve used it: Mt. Rose Wilderness; Chickadee Ridge; Toiyabe National Forest, Nevada; Desolation Wilderness, Lake Aloha, California
- Seasons I’ve used it in: Summer
How it performs
What I was looking for
Back in 2016, I made a trip to Torres Del Paine, Patagonia, Chile. At that time I was in a hurry to fit in as many activities during my trip. However, I didn’t get enough time to do the famous W-Trek. Recently I started making plans to tackle it with some upgraded gear that was going to be lightweight, durable, weather resistant, and packable.
Why I chose this gear
The Nemo Disco 15 °F Men's Sleeping Bag is an incredible option for people who are side-sleepers like me and want to get a good night's rest. When picking the Disco, I wanted to find comfort and warmth. However, to my surprise I ended up getting a sleeping bag that's also incredibly versatile. The bag is very compact and lightweight due to the down insulation. I looked at more Nemo products but decided to spend a bit more to save weight and allow more versatility in my adventures.
What I love about it
- Durability: A great sleeping bag that uses quality material including the 30-denier ripstop nylon shell fabric and the two-way #5 YKK zippers. I feel with proper care it will last me many years and adventures to come.
- Packability: Nemo has a compression bag that reduces size significantly, making it incredibly easy to store in my backpack. Just push down the sleeping bag and then close the compression bag and slowly tighten it to reduce the size.
- Warmth: The Disco 15 was great at keeping me warm all night long. If I was ever a bit too warm, I would just open up the thermo gills.
- Comfort: It has an integrated pillow pocket that allows putting a pillow, or if one is resourceful, a jacket or clothes, into the sleeve. Also, if one’s partner has a Nemo Sleeping bag, they can be zipped together!
- Shape: Semirectangular is a great shape for a side sleeper giving me plenty of space compared to a mummy bag.
- Versatility: A sleeping bag that offers incredible versatility in terms of warmth. By opening the thermo gills, I can change the temperature rating range to 15-35 °F.
- Weather Resistance: It uses a 30-denier ripstop nylon shell fabric that is treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR), which helps repel water.
- Backpacking: Due to its compact size and versatility in warmth, I can take this sleeping bag anywhere and have a great sleep.
- Car Camping: When car camping, I personally want to be comfortable, and the Disco doesn’t disappoint with the spacious interior. It is great for anyone who moves at night or sleeps on their side.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Weight: At 2lbs 13oz for the long version, this bag will be heavier than others. Other brands are a bit lighter for less down insulation, but consequently aren’t as comfortable.
Favorite moment with this gear
I enjoyed waking up early in the morning for a sunset summit with my group and knowing I was the only one who had a good night's rest. I had to contain my smile as many members of my adventure group were a bit grumpy. After our backpacking trip, many started researching the Nemo Disco.
Value for the money vs. other options
I sincerely believe that the price of the Nemo Disco is well worth it, it is a bag that can serve different scenarios and temperature ratings. As well as the comfort the semi-rectangular shape offers. I would compare it to other Nemo products like the Forte sleeping bag, which is similar to the Disco but uses synthetic insulation instead of down.
I absolutely believe this is the best sleeping bag I have owned. Getting a good night's sleep is essential in any adventure; depending on how the day starts is how the whole day will unfold. The Nemo Disco might be a bit heavier than others, but no other brand compares to the comfort and space it provides. As well as the thermo gills that effectively change this bag temperature rating to 25–30 °F just by opening them up. I highly recommend it to all my friends.