Expert Review: Picture Organic Women's Haakon Bib PantsPublished on 08/30/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the bib pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
All photos by Sara Beeken
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the bib pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
I loved how the Picture Organic Women's Haakon bib pants felt. They were super breathable and easy to move in. They would be great for someone who values mobility and comfort. They’re also versatile enough for many conditions.
About the pants I tested
- Brand: Picture
- Model: Women's Haakon bib pants
- Size Fit: True to size/a little large
- Height: 5’5”
- Weight: 125 lbs
- Pant size: 2
- Experience: 27 years of skiing
- When I tested these: March 2022
- Days tested: 2
- Where I’ve tested them: Crested Butte, CO
- Weather conditions tested in: Sunny
How it performs
What I was looking for
I actually got these pants through a Curated demo program and got to demo them for a couple of days. I had never tried Picture gear before, but knew that I loved the style. Picture really impressed me as far as quality.
Why I chose this gear
I chose to demo these bibs because I was curious about the quality of Picture’s products. If I were looking for some new, lightly insulated spring bibs, I absolutely would have bought these. I currently have Montec bibs, which I like the style of, but from a quality perspective, I prefer these Picture bibs due to their better waterproofing and stretchy material.
What I love about it
- Comfort: These bibs are made out of repurposed sugarcane waste—super cool! The material these are made out of is super soft and not as ‘swishy’ as many snow pants.
- Waterproofing: I was working on my 180s while wearing these, so I often found myself laying in the snow. These bibs didn’t let any moisture get through. Probably because of the ‘Freewater Repellent Treatment’, which is also environmentally friendly.
- Special Features: They have a feature called the I-fit system that allows me to conveniently shorten and lengthen the pant legs as needed. However the cable that I pull to shorten them is in the pockets, so it feels kind of like I have several hair bands in my pockets at all times. Other than that, it’s nice not to have a zipper in the front; that helps with ease of movement.
- Breathability: I put the breathability of these bibs to the test by hiking a kicker in my yard wearing them. I didn’t find myself feeling sweaty in them.
- Weight: These were very light for a pair of bibs, so it was nice not to feel weighed down while I was skiing.
- Ease of movement: Ease of movement is definitely this bib’s best quality. They felt almost stretchy. I didn’t feel restricted at all in them.
- Quality: The material is unique, soft, and feels high quality. The taped seams did their job of keeping me dry, even when laying in the snow on occasion.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Fit : These fit me a little loose, but depending on sizing, they could have a regular/more slim fit if I sized down. The looser size wasn’t too much of a problem for me, especially since I was able to make the leg length shorter by using their I-fit system.
- Warmth: I tested these in sunny conditions. They aren’t especially insulated, so I was very comfortable. They might not be great for someone who is regularly facing very cold conditions.
- Durability: I can’t speak too much to the durability of these since I only had them for a few days. The zippers seemed to be fairly low quality, so I do have some durability concerns.
- Other: They are tricky to put on. I have to pull the shoulder straps over my head to get into them. But once they’re on, the zippers down the side actually make bathroom breaks very easy, since I don’t have to take the bib top down.
- Any workarounds? Once I got the hang of it, it wasn’t too big a deal.
Favorite moment with this gear
I’m a skier, but I did my first successful 180 on a snowboard while wearing these bibs! The breathability and ease of movement made them perfect for hiking kickers, and helped keep me out there long enough to dial in the trick.
Value for the money vs. other options
I would definitely say these bibs are worth the money for any skier or snowboarder, from beginner to expert, who values ease of movement. The style and quality are similar to brands like Armada and Flylow.
These are ideal bibs for someone who is looking for ease of movement and wants a comfortable mid-weight bib option. I loved them!