Expert Review: TaylorMade Spider GT Black #3 PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 3 min read This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in July of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Martey Hebeler
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in July of 2022.
The TaylorMade Spider GT Black #3 Putter is an excellent, well-balanced putter. This putter would be a fantastic fit for high and low handicappers.
About the club I own
- Model: 2022 TaylorMade Spider GT
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Slant Neck
- Balance Point: Slight Toe Hang
- Shaft Length: 35”
- Grip Type: SuperStroke Traxion 2.0
- Finish: Black
- Average Score: 74
- Handicap: 2
- Experience: 27 years of playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Slight Arc
- Golf Ball Used: TaylorMade Tp5
- Height: 6’1”
- When I bought the putter: July 2022
- Days tested: 2 months
- Where I’ve used it: Played about 10 rounds with the putter now and several hours on practice green.
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Warm sunny hot
- Green Speed:10
- Grass Type: Bent
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a mallet that provided great alignment and was very forgiving on mishits. I had been struggling with alignment on the blade putter I was using.
Why I chose this club
I chose to go with this putter for the stark contrast on the white alignment line against the black body. It has really helped me align my putts. I also considered the Odyssey 11 with the tour line or the Odyssey 11 two-ball alignment system.
What I love about it
- Weight: The weighting of this putter is very good. It's got a good weight to it, making lag putting relatively easy.
- Alignment: I find the alignment with this putter to be fantastic. The stark contrast from the white line to the black body of the putter makes it a breeze.
- Length: I always prefer a 35” putter at 6’1” tall. It just makes it easy to set up my eyeline where I like it.
- Aesthetic Appeal: This putter looks fantastic. I love the black/red/white color scheme I chose.
- Grip Feel: I did opt for the SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 grip. The oversize grip feels great. SuperStroke has been making great putter grips for a while now.
- Balance: This putter has exceptional balance producing a smooth stroke. The two extended prongs to the shape of the putter get the weight toward the toe and heel of the putter and away from the face making it feel fantastic.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Face Feel: The feel off the face is good but not the best I have ever felt. Also, out on the toe, it feels relatively dead off the face.
- Forgiveness: This is not the most forgiving putter I have ever used. It is far from bad, but mishits on the toe really cause the speed to be down and the put to come up short.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
My favorite putt to hit with this putter is inside 12 feet. The alignment is great and fills me with confidence to sink a putt. In one of my rounds of testing, I sunk a 12-foot putt for eagle and skin.
Value for the money vs. other options
This putter is a good value at this price point, as Odessey Eleven series putters and Scotty Cameron carry a heavier price tag. However, I would suggest the TaylorMade Spider GT putter to proficient players as the mishits are not the most forgiving.
In all my time since I purchased this club, I have been very pleased with the TaylorMade Spider GT Black #3 Putter. The looks are fantastic and one of my favorite things about the club. Also, lining up makeable 10-12 footers filled me with confidence.