Expert Review: Bettinardi Queen B Series QB12 PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf club, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2022.
Practice putts at Clinton Country Club. All photos courtesy of Jason Starkey
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf club, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2022.
The Bettinardi Queen B12 offers a soft feel, end-over-end roll, and plenty of toe hang. Featuring a shorter profile from toe to heel and slightly wider face to trailing edge depth, this putter requires a center strike with an in-to-out swing path. Low handicappers will love the look, feel, and playability of the QB12.
About the club I own
- Model: Bettinardi Queen B 12
- Shape: Blade
- Hosel Neck: Plumbers
- Balance Point: 45° toe hang
- Shaft Length: 34”
- Grip Type: Bettinardi Deep Etched Lamkin Sink Fit Pistol
- Finish: Rose Gold PVD
- Average Score: 78
- Handicap: 8.4
- Experience: 20+ years playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Arcing
- Golf Ball Used: Callaway Chrome Soft
- Height: 5’11”
- When I bought the putter: June 2022
- Days tested: 3 months
- Where I’ve used it: Practice green, Competitive rounds, Practice rounds
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Only play in good conditions, one round with some rain
- Green Speed: About 10 on the stimp (fast)
- Grass Type: Bent
How it performs
What I was looking for
Honestly, I really wasn’t “looking” for a new putter. I had the opportunity to test all kinds of great gear, including Bettinardi putters. I had never tried them prior. When I got the QB12 in my hands, I fell in love.
Why I chose this club
The look and feel were the deciding factors. I love the rose gold finish, and the honeycomb milled face is soft while maintaining the fully milled feel one looks for in a milled putter. I was back and forth between the QB12 and a BB Series from Bettinardi. Ultimately, I decided on the QB12 for the face feel, weight, and looks.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: I love how the ball feels coming off the face. The honeycomb milling provides great feedback when striking the ball. I can tell if a putt is struck perfectly or is on the toe or heel.
- Weight: I love the weight of this putter. It is slightly heavy at 362 grams, so it is easy and consistent to swing it smoothly.
- Alignment: The single flange line is classic. Get the putter aligned on the target line, and it will go right there.
- Length: 34” is the perfect length for me and my stroke.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The rose gold PVD finish is amazing. The putter almost has a hyper-bronze color, which is cool looking.
- Grip Feel: The deep etch in the grip has a great feeling in the hands. Even on hot days when my hands are sweaty and hard to dry, I am confident the putter is secure.
- Customization: I use standard specs, but Bettinardi offers every customization possible from lie angle, loft, and length to even going fully custom.
- Other: One feature I wasn’t prepared for and wouldn't know until I hit it perfectly is the sound it makes off the face. A high-pitched "ting" sound lets me know it is pure when struck flawlessly. It is a cool feeling and sound.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Forgiveness: Being a blade, this is not a very forgiving putter. If it is struck on the toe or heel, the ball will not start on line and will most likely come up short.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
I managed under 30 putts in the round during my first competitive round with the QB12. Every putt either dropped or left me tap-ins. I couldn’t miss it. At the 15th hole, I was two over par, looking to win the tournament. I hit a few bad shots coming in and finished tied for third—best showing to date.
Value for the money vs. other options
As far as value, the Bettinardi Queen B12 is the cream of the crop. Fully milled putters are not cheap but worth every penny in my eyes. Less expensive putters will use a composite insert in the face for feel, where the milled billet of Bettinardi produces the feel aspect. These putters compete with Scotty Cameron and full custom options from Odyssey and Ping.
When I put this putter in my bag, I felt confident with it immediately. It did take a little getting used to being slightly shorter in length from heel to toe, but that adjustment period was short. Now, I am so confident that I feel like I can't miss it at any length. Looks, feel, and swing weight are simply perfect for me and my game.