Expert Review: Union Atlas Snowboard Bindings · 2022
This review is my honest opinion of the bindings, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the bindings, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
The Union Atlas Bindings are one of the lightest yet still very durable. Overall one of the best bindings in the Union lineup. This binding
About the gear
- Model: 2022 Union Atlas Binding
- Size: Large
- Burton channel compatible: No
- Mini disc (reduces footprint of the binding on the board to enable more board feel): Yes, the mini disc helps with board feel and control.
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 180 lbs
- Experience: 10 years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: Dec. 2021
- Days tested: Approximately 110 days
- Board: Sims Bowlsquad
- Boot: Adidas Lexicon
- Where I’ve used it: Utah, Colorado, Oregon
- Terrain: Park, Street, Backcountry, Groomers
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for a top-tier binding that would perform anywhere I take it. I was on the hunt to find a better and lighter binding setup than I had before.
Why I chose this gear
I have a good history of testing and riding other Union bindings I like. So I thought about a couple of other bindings in the Union lineup but knew I would stick with Union.
What I love about it
What I really love about the Atlas bindings is how much trust I have that they will hold up even off the biggest cliffs or drops. Also, the speed of strapping on the bindings feels smooth and easy to do. The main thing I love about the Atlas is my foot's locked-in feel while in the binding.
- Binding adjustability in boots: Top notch and will fit perfectly with any boots through strap and heel cup adjustments.
- Stance adjustability: The Union Atlas has every option one needs to get a perfect stance.
- Comfort: Padding is solid all around with no pinches.
- Shock absorption: Because the bindings are so light, Union didn’t add too much padding, but they are still good.
- Responsiveness: Top tier. The mini disc really helps minimal dead space on deck, which means I can feel the flex across the entire deck.
- Carving: I can feel my turning much better. The design of the highback is very noticeable while turning. It helps my legs lock in better in turn.
- Buttering: This binding really boosts the buttering ability because of the nice flex ratio the high back and straps give me while maneuvering the board.
- Buckles: They are very smooth and easy to use.
- Durability: The Atlas is top-notch and will hold up for multiple years of hard riding. Union’s durability is honestly the best in the game. They offer a lifetime warranty for their base plates and almost every part on the binding.
- Weight: Fairly light binding but never feels weak or not secure. It’s the perfect balance of light but not too light.
- Ease of turn initiation: I have no issues with turning. The binding only makes it better.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Shock Absorption: This is only part of the binding I rated below a 4 star because the material they use for the padding is good, but I feel like they did not put enough padding in the heel and high-impact zones. I really only notice this with very high-impact landings, such as some good air time to a flat or a high-speed landing.
Favorite moment with this gear
My best moment using these bindings was on a March deep pow day in Brighton. I was with the right squad hitting side hits all day and just boosting around having fun.
Value for the money vs. other options
The value and price point for the Union Atlas bindings are fair and 100% worth every penny. They are not overpriced in any aspect. Union uses top-tier materials. Compared to a less expensive binding or brand that makes every type of gear, like Arbor bindings, it is known to be a bit cheaper in quality because the brand puts less time into design and material.
Overall, this quality gear always helps give me a reliable, consistent binding. Finding the right fit for one's riding style is what matters in the end, though. I feel the Atlas bindings fully deliver for the realm of boarding it says it's meant for, which is all someone can ask for from a product.