Expert Review: BabyBjörn Baby Carrier OnePublished on 09/18/2022 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the baby carrier, which I purchased with my own money in 2019 and have used continuously since then for my two kids.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the baby carrier, which I purchased with my own money in 2019 and have used continuously since then for my two kids.
The BabyBjorn One Carrier is great for a caregiver who wants a close and secure way to carry their baby. The carrier is perfect for a child who wants the comfort of being held while still giving the caregiver full use of their hands. It’s also ideal for casual walks, shopping, or more adventurous outings.
About the carrier I own
- Model: 2019 BabyBjorn One
- Height: One size
- Configuration: The Baby Bjorn One has a built in newborn configuration and can also be used facing in, facing out, and on the back.
- Intended age group: The carrier can be used from 8–33 pounds, or about 0–3 years
- When I used the product: I have used this carrier continually for the past three and a half years (2019–2022); first with my daughter ,and then with my son who is now 18 months old. I plan to continue using this carrier if we have a third child.
- Child’s age range: I was able to start carrying my daughter at three weeks once she reached 8 pounds and recently carried her rear facing as a 32 pound, three year old.
- Lifestyle: I used a convertible car seat with my daughter instead of an infant bucket; if I was on the go she was in the BabyBjorn carrier. I did not use a stroller except on rare occasions and always wore her. I have used this carrier in the grocery store, on walks around town, on long hikes, out cross country skiing, and just standing around my kitchen hoping she’ll nap.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I wanted a carrier that was easy to put on and would grow with my child. I am an avid walker and hiker, so something that had good support for both me and my child was critically important. I am out in all temperatures, so I was looking for something that was breathable but not fully mesh.
Why I chose this carrier
I decided to buy this carrier because I had heard great things about the quality of the products from BabyBjorn. It also checked all my boxes for being comfortable, supportive, and able to fit a growing baby. I considered a comparable option from Ergo Baby and ultimately decided the BabyBjorn was easier for me to put on.
What I love about it
- Wearer’s Comfort: I have walked up to 10 miles while wearing it with my year-old baby and felt that her weight was evenly distributed across my upper back, and the waist belt puts lots of the weight on my hips. The straps don’t pull or rub on my shoulders or back. The waist belt is wide, comfortable, and smooth no matter what clothing I’m wearing underneath it. I’ve gone on walks at the lake in a swimsuit and also taken my daughter Nordic skiing. At both extremes this carrier is comfortable.
- Ease of use: The BabyBjorn One is very easy to put on. Simply put over my head and my arms through the straps and clip the waist belt. It’s very easy to put my child in the carrier (both in and outward facing). The straps click in a very satisfying way and the quick release makes it very easy to quickly get the baby out if needed. The straps are all easy to reach and easy to adjust. The baby is securely held inside the carrier which makes it easy to switch around from a front to back carry.
- Quality & Durability: The BabyBjorn One is made of high quality and durable materials. I have used this carrier for three years with two children and put hundreds if not thousands of hours in it. The clips are durable and easy to latch or unlatch without any wear and tear on the product.
- Design: The design of the carrier is impeccable. It is incredibly easy to switch from the newborn setting to the inward or outward carry for a larger infant. There is one zipper to create a higher, more supportive kissable height carry for newborns. The BabyBjorn One carrier is certified to protect hip health and has an easy-to-use zipper function to allow for a wide-leg, inward-facing seat and also a more narrow-leg, outward-facing seat. The straps are easy to adjust and the carrier is ergonomically comfortable for both caregiver and child. I love how easy it is to dial in a perfect fit no matter how bulky my clothing is underneath.
- Ease of Cleaning: This Carrier is very easy to clean and seems to be fairly stain resistant. I have had no trouble with wiping spots off as needed; and if it ever gets overly dirty, I just throw it in the washer and dryer.
- Aesthetics: I love the sleek, Scandinavian-inspired lines of this product. It’s fairly minimal for how supportive it is and I love that it’s not bulky.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Other: The only flaw in my opinion is that the sleek design doesn’t include a small pocket to put phone or keys. I am often walking on the go and lots of my casual athletic clothing does not have pockets for small items.
Value for the money vs. other options
The BabyBjorn One is a bit more expensive than the BabyBorn Free, but it is worth the money for the extended use I get from the product. The One carries children up to 33 pounds and allows for a back carry which the Free does not. The BabyBjorn Harmony is a more expensive version and uses a more breathable lightweight mesh material which is great for warm weather. The Harmony is also rated for use up to 40 pounds.
This high-quality carrier is supportive and comfortable. The BabyBjorn One gives me the peace of mind knowing I can take my child anywhere I want to go and they can feel snug and protected.