Expert Review: Hestra Women's Patrol Gauntlet Mittens
This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in January of 2020.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in January of 2020.
The Hestra Women’s Patrol Gauntlet Mittens are perfect for anyone who is tired of suffering from cold hands. Insanely durable, these mittens will keep one happy season after season.
About the mittens I own
- Model: 2020 Hestra Women’s Patrol Gauntlet Mittens
- Size: 7
- Height: 5’3.5”
- Weight: 130 lbs
- Experience: 20+ years of snowboarding/skiing
- When I bought them: January 2020
- Days used: 125+
- Weather conditions used in: Whiteout blizzards, high wind, below 0
- Where I’ve used them: Colorado, Utah, California
- Terrain: All over the resort
How they perform
What I was looking for
I forgot my gloves one day after driving two hours to the ski resort. I needed to buy gloves or mittens on mountain that were the right size for my small hands.
Why I chose this gear
These mittens were the only ones in my size at the ski shop.
What I love about it
- Fit: The adjustable gauntlet allows for perfect adjustment around the wrists.
- Comfort: The liner of these mittens is super soft and comfortable.
- Ease of movement: The soft leather allows these mittens to articulate well with my hands.
- Warmth: Hestra has outdone every other brand when it comes to warmth. The leather keeps heat in, and the removable liner is soft and adds an extra layer of protection.
- Waterproofing: I’ve never had water enter these mittens, even when it dumps snow.
- Conditions: These mittens are meant for the coldest of cold days.
- Quality: The high-quality leather and fabric keep these mittens looking nice after every use. The leather is particularly soft and buttery to the touch.
- Durability: These mittens are almost bombproof with their durability. The fabric has very limited fraying after 125+ uses. The leather has a few scratches, but nothing lessens the warmth/waterproofness.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Breathability: These mittens truly do not breathe. The materials are meant to keep heat in through the most extreme conditions, so don’t expect them to release any heat if one gets hot.
- Conditions: It is easy to overheat as soon as the temp hits the upper 20s.
- Touchscreen compatibility: I have to take these off in order to use a phone.
- Other: Since these mittens are leather, I need to ensure they are cared for properly. Hestra sells these with leather conditioner, and it is important to use it to make sure the leather holds up.
Favorite moment with this gear
A month after my “accidental” purchase of these mittens, I complained about their price to a friend. At the end of my spiel, my friend’s brother says, “Yeah, but they were worth it, right?” And I had to admit it. They were worth it. These mittens have been the warmest and longest-lasting piece of gear I own.
Value for the money vs. other options
While I was initially shocked by the sticker price, these mittens are worth every penny. I’ve tried gloves/mittens from Spyder, Burton, Flylow, and various other brands I find at the ski shop. No other glove/mitten has compared to the warmth of these Hestra mittens.
I’m so thankful I forgot my gloves that one day. These mittens have survived three seasons of blistering conditions so far, and I have no intention of ever replacing them. Do yourself a favor and invest in a pair of Women’s Patrol Gauntlet Mittens by Hestra.