Expert Review: Callaway Golf Jaws Raw Plasma Black WedgePublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf wedges, which I purchased with my own money in September of 2022.
All photos by Jason Starkey
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf wedges, which I purchased with my own money in September of 2022.
The Callaway Jaws RAW Plasma Black Wedges are absolute spin machines. Between the RAW face, offset groove in groove, and steeper groove angles, these produce 30% more spin than the previous version. Great for those one hop and stop shots, high spinning flop shots, and full shots into the green.
About the club I own
- Model: Callaway JAWS Raw Black Plasma 2022
- Loft: 60°
- Bounce: 12°/10°
- Grind: X/S
- Finish: Black Plasma
- Average Score: 78
- Handicap: 8.4
- Experience: 20+ years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-handed
- Golf Ball Used: Callaway Chrome Soft
- Angle Of Attack: Normal
- When I bought the wedge: September 2022
- Days tested: 10
- Where I’ve used it: Practice green
- Weather Conditions: Normal weather
- Green Conditions: Bent grass, fast
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was really looking to find a wedge that spins a lot. The Jaws RAW did not disappoint. I found more spin on shots around the green than any other wedge I have tested.
Why I chose this club
I really enjoy the look of the black plasma finish. It appeals to me when looking down at the club. Also, with the RAW face I was looking to get more spin. I have been looking at the wedges in my bag for a while—testing many, purchasing some. I had been using wedges from Mizuno T22 and Cleveland RTX Zipcore, but this Callaway wedge is going in the bag for sure.
What I love about it
- Launch: I feel like I can control the launch of these better than most. Low one hoppers are easy, as well as getting the club under the ball for a high, soft landing.
- Spin: These wedges produce high spin rates. From all conditions (sand, rough, tight lies, full shots) the ball seemed to stop on a dime.
- Bounce: The grinds and bounce combination is amazing, making the club perfect for any shot needed, whether it is out of the sand, rough, tight lies, or full shots. Higher bounce is perfect for soft or wet conditions and especially out of the sand. The lower bounce options are best from tighter lies and for steeper attack angles.
- Around the Green: This is where these really performed the best. The RAW face really grabs the ball, creating confidence. If I hit the spot I want to land the ball, it will stop close to the hole, if not drop in.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The Black Plasma finish is sleek-looking. It also held up to testing in the sand where these finishes tend to wear.
- Innovation: Offset groove in groove: this is fine milling between the grooves which helps to grab more of the ball at contact. Combine that with 37° groove angles, these faces really help to create spin.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Forgiveness: The Z and X grinds are not the most forgiving, requiring a good shot to maximize the bounce. S and W are the forgiving grinds for fuller shots and ease out of the sand.
- Feel: Not the most feel in these. Compared to Mizuno, these are slightly clunky and lack that soft, buttery feel. Having the feel at contact is what I look for to get the feedback when hitting the ball.
- Full Shots: Being a 60° wedge, I have a hard time getting any distance out of them, but that is all me.
- Other: The RAW face is fantastic, but they definitely get dirty quickly and need to be cleaned regularly.
Best Shot with this Wedge
I was very impressed when hitting the low hop and stop shots. I felt like I could pick a spot to land it and knew exactly where the ball would stop. Of course I had to try the infamous flop shot, not something I choose often, but was able to slide the club under the ball with ease.
Value for the money vs. other options
When choosing wedges, price can always be a consideration. Cleveland RTX is always a great choice for the money, but if performance is top of mind, the little extra for the Jaws RAW will not disappoint.
I’ve said it once, I will say it again, these wedges are absolute spin beasts. When compared to any other wedge, the Jaws RAW spins more. I would recommend these wedges to anyone: high handicapper to scratch golfer that is looking to spin a wedge.