Expert Review: Callaway 2022 Chrome Soft X Triple Track Golf BallsPublished on 03/14/2023 · 3 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Michael V.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2022.
The Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track golf balls are a great option for golfers with faster swing speeds who are looking for a softer feel with an alignment aid.
About the golf ball I own
- Model: Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track Golf Balls
- Color: White
- Average score: My average score on the course is under 75.
- Handicap: Current Handicap Index is 0.5.
- Experience: I have been playing golf for a decade.
- Right/Left-handed: Right-handed
- Typical shot shape: Typical shot shape is a slight draw or fade.
- Typical trajectory: Prefer to hit low knockdown shots to control ball flight.
- Club swing speed: Average club head speed with driver is around 115 MPH.
- When I bought this: February 2022
- Days tested: Two weeks on the course.
- Where I’ve used it: Used on four different private golf courses in the Midwest.
- Weather and wind conditions: Used in the rain and windy conditions.
- Turf conditions: Used in softer conditions.
- Green speeds: Used on faster greens.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a higher compression golf ball with a softer feel and was enticed by the alignment aid.
Why I chose this golf ball
I chose this ball to match my swing speed and to save time on the putting green. I struggle with my alignment and have tried out TaylorMade’s Tour Resonspe Stripe golf balls and marked my golf balls with Sharpies. I chose Callaway to try out a softer feel.
What I love about it
- Distance: Exceptional distance. It gave me confidence in my long shots.
- Green Spin: Great spin control with shots outside of 150 yards.
- Durability: Average durability for higher compression golf balls. Meant to last tour players through their rounds until it is lost.
- Color: Easy to align with the triple track technology. Three lines, different colors. Not a matte or gloss finish. The golf balls aren’t easier to find than any other I’ve played with.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Feel: It has an extremely hollow feel around the greens, especially with wedges and a putter. The soft feel on longer shots doesn’t translate to the greens. Great feel for longer approach shots (outside of 150 yards).
Best shot with this golf ball
My best shot with this golf ball was when I hit a long iron into a par 5 green after having a 300-yard drive—a perfect low spin-off of the driver's face, setting me up for a 250-yard shot. Hit a high arching draw with my 19-degree Callaway Apex Pro iron and checked to the green nicely with the perfect amount of spin.
Value for the money vs. other options
These golf balls feel a little bit too soft for my liking. I prefer a firmer feel, such as Bridgestone Tour BX or TaylorMade TP5X. The firm feel offers better feedback on miss hits, especially around the green with a putter or wedges.
The closer I got to the green, the less I liked these golf balls simply because they felt hollow on slower swing speeds, especially wedge shots. On the other hand, the control and soft feel on the long shots were fantastic, and alignment couldn’t be easier—a bit of a trade-off.