Expert Review: Callaway Golf Jaws Raw Chrome WedgePublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the wedge, which I tested for five days in August of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Ryan Hernandez
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the wedge, which I tested for five days in August of 2022.
The Callaway Golf Jaws Raw Chrome Wedge is an exciting club packed with new features, and a wide array of grind options make it, in my opinion, the best-performing wedge Callaway has produced. The best part is there are different grind, loft, and bounce options for every golfer.
About the club I tested
- Model: 2022
- Loft: 60º
- Bounce: 8, 10 and 12
- Grind: Z, S, X, and W
- Finish: Chrome and Plasma
- Average Score: 70–75
- Handicap: 2.5
- Experience: 25 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-handed
- Golf Ball Used: TP5x
- Angle Of Attack: Steep but working to be shallow
- When I tested the wedge: August 2022
- Days tested: Five
- Where I’ve used it: Range, course, and simulator
- Weather Conditions: Sunny and humid
- Green Conditions: Bermuda and dry
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was part of the team asked by Curated and Callaway to test these new wedges. I was looking for a wedge that could do everything. Based on all the combinations, I wanted to find something that could spin, stop, add forgiveness, and allow for full shot distance.
Why I chose this club
I was given this club to test. I had heard that it would be versatile and was not disappointed. I would recommend it to any golfer looking for new wedges.
What I love about it
- Launch: The club produces lower launching on full shots, which I love. I love the distance control that it offers. I could launch it lower and control different yardages based on what I needed.
- Forgiveness: W grind is the most forgiving model. I liked it so much that I ordered all three in this grind, as it allows me to execute a wide variety of shots with added forgiveness.
- Feel: This club is made for tour-level specifications, so while they do offer forgiveness in certain grinds, one certainly gets the feedback on mishits through the club to the hands.
- Spin: This club produces great spin—a predictable amount of rollout with chips and a quick stop on full shots and open-faced spinner shots.
- Bounce: There are a variety of options; this allows for performance in whatever turf interaction I need.
- Around the Green: The grind and loft options allow for every shot in the bag that I need. They allow for rollout when needed as well as spin and check when needed.
- Aesthetic Appeal: It has a classic look and very minimal offset. It also has a compact shape while still offering forgiveness. And the contrasting patterns and color options are amazing.
- Innovation: Callaway makes a slight adjustment to their cross-grooved tech by etching them at 20º, which has made for cleaner strikes and performance.
- Other: Raw finish means that only the face will rust over time. This gives it a unique look, and the black “Plasma” finish eliminates glare.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Full Shots: Only issue I encountered was that the full swings didn't feel the best. The club was harder to maneuver than I had hoped, and the feel off the face was dead and harder to square up.
Best Shot with this Wedge
I was off the green on a par 4 with my second shot. Down a steep hill, the ball was buried in the grass, and I had to get up the hill to a back-tucked pin placement. The pin was up on a tiny ridge; if I didn't land on and stay on that little plateau, I was looking at a bogey at best. I used the 58 and didn’t even have to open the face. I flew it up on the top, and it stopped two inches from the cup—tap-in par!
Value for the money vs. other options
This wedge is top-notch in performance but also price. Each one rings in at $180, which is not cheap. But it is worth every penny. I have used the Vokey SM9, TaylorMadeMG3, and the TaylorMade Hi-Toe, and these will go up against any of these as far as performance. It is made with the best players in the world in mind and is customizable for anyone’s game. A must-have in the bag if one needs new wedges.
The Callaway Golf Jaws Chrome Wedge is one of if not the best wedge on the market this year. With the look, amount of options and mix of performance and forgiveness, there is a wedge for every golfer. Callaway hit the mark with these.