Expert Review: Dakine Men's Titan GORE-TEX Gloves
This review is my honest opinion of the gloves, which I was gifted in December of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the gloves, which I was gifted in December of 2021.
The Dakine Men’s Titan GORE-TEX Gloves are, in my mind, the perfect all-around ski gloves. They are the warmest, most durable gloves I’ve had and come chock full of features I use daily on the mountain.
About this gear
- Model: Dakine Titan GORE-TEX Glove
- Size: XL
- Height: 5’10”
- Weight: 185 lbs
- Experience: 17 years of skiing
- When I was gifted them: December 2021
- Days used: 35
- Weather conditions used in: Wet spring days, stormy blizzards, powder days, and sunny spring days
- Where I’ve used them: Alpental, Crystal, Baker, WA; Jackson, WY; and Whistler, BC
- Terrain: Resort and backcountry
How they perform
What I was looking for
My old gloves kept deteriorating after one season and were very basic. I was looking for more durable gloves that were more waterproof, warmer, and had better features. I saw my friend had some really nice-looking gloves, and I remember being jealous of his wrist leash since it let him take them off quickly and not have to worry about stashing them away.
Why I chose this gear
I was fortunate to be gifted these gloves by a friend after I forgot to bring gloves to the mountain one day. I still had my old gloves at home—Head brand gloves from Costco—but one day with the Titan gloves, and I was sold. I had been looking at other gloves before, but if I had to buy a pair again, I would just get these because of their features and durability.
What I love about them
- Comfort: The Titan gloves come with a removable liner which I don’t often use. The lining of the actual shell is very comfortable and plush.
- Ease of movement: One of my favorite features of this glove is the wrist leash. With this on, it is very easy to take them off and put back on. The shell's inner lining never bunches up like other gloves. The fabric of the shell is also flexible, so I never feel like the fingers are too rigid.
- Warmth: These gloves are thick, and I can tell by how warm they are. One of the downsides is they are TOO hot if it's an above-freezing sunny spring day, but for the core winter, I’ve never felt the need to go for warmer mitts.
- Waterproofing: I got these gloves used and used them for an entire season, and they have always kept me dry. In the Pacific Northwest, we can often ski in very wet conditions, and these gloves have never failed me, even when raining.
- Conditions: These gloves thrive in every kind of condition EXCEPT for warmer spring days where one might feel too sweaty in them. The GORE-TEX fabric keeps the moisture away, and the powder skirt on the wrist can be cinched and helps to keep unwanted snow from getting in.
- Touchscreen compatibility: The shell of the gloves does not have touchscreen compatibility, but they do have a removable liner that is. This is a fantastic feature to keep my hands warm on exceptionally cold days and still let me use my phone.
- Features: These gloves are full of features that I love. They come with cinches around the wrist and a powder skirt in order to fit them tighter and keep snow out. The wrist leash allows me to never worry about dropping my gloves in the snow or off the chairlift if I need to use my phone or need more dexterity. They have a softer material on one thumb to wipe my nose, and on the other, they have a goggle wipe which is great for those snowy days. The gloves also come with a removable liner that is touchscreen compatible and has a zipper stash pocket that can be used to hold small items or hand warmers.
- Quality: The quality of the Titan glove is fantastic. The shell feels very solid, and the Rubbertec material on the palm is smooth and clean looking.
- Durability: The durability of these gloves is fantastic. I have a problematic tendency to remove gloves using my teeth, and in the past, this has caused damage to the fingers. The Titan gloves still look brand new. I got them used, used them for a full season, and there are no signs of wear and tear on them.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Fit: I believe these might be a size bigger than I need, but I do think they run large. They are fairly bulky and have a bunch of padding in the fingers leading to a lot of extra material at the fingertips.
- Breathability: This glove is not very breathable, and it will definitely feel too hot and bulky on warmer days. I have the liner out, and they are still very warm. The only breathability comes from the space by my wrist. The good news is that this works in my favor on cold days by keeping the heat from my hands in.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with this gear was the first day I used them. I was getting ready in the parking lot of Alpental, WA, on a powder day when I realized I had forgotten to pack my gloves. My friend came to the rescue by letting me borrow his Dakine Titan GORE-TEX gloves. My hands spent all day warm and dry despite it being a very deep day. They even held up after I had ejected from my skis into powder multiple times. I got to utilize the wrist leashes on the old infamous Chair 2 double chair at Alpental without worrying about dropping them. After a full day in them, my friend said I could keep them since he used some new mitts he liked better. The rest was history.
Value for the money vs. other options
It’s tough for me to talk about value for the money when I was gifted the gloves. I know they were bought from a local budget outdoors store as well. Curated sells these gloves for around $80, but there is a price match option. Before these gloves, I just used to buy $20 Head gloves from Costco practically every season because they were cheap. However, they fell apart after one season. The Titan gloves still show no wear and tear and have way more features. I can see these lasting me for multiple seasons, so when I factor in longevity, comfort, and features, they are a great value, especially if they’re on sale.
The Dakine Titan GORE-TEX Gloves have everything I would ever want from a glove. They have the perfect blend of high-quality performance and useful features I consistently use. I highly recommend these gloves to anyone who finds their current glove lacking.