Expert Review: Volcom Men's L GORE-TEX® Shell JacketPublished on 10/29/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the jacket, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
This is how a large fits me at 6 feet tall, 175lbs. All photos courtesy of Matt Johnson
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the jacket, which i purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
The Volcom Men’s GORE-TEX Shell Jacket is an absolute shield from outside elements. With a breathable GORE-TEX build, plenty of pockets, and other helpful features on the slopes, this Volcom jacket is perfect for anyone looking for a shell jacket to keep them dry and looking good on the hills.
About the jacket I own
- Model: 2022 Volcom L GORE-TEX Jacket
- Size: Large
- Fit: True to size, relaxed fit
- Height: 6’0”
- Weight: 175lbs
- Experience: Two years of skiing
- When I bought this: March 2022
- Days tested: Four
- Where I’ve used it: Snowbowl, AZ
- Conditions I’ve used it in: Resort days in spring
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was specifically looking for a GORE-TEX jacket to upgrade from my old Costco jacket. I was tired of snow getting in my old jacket’s sleeves and soaking through the tail of the jacket.
Why I chose this gear
I decided on this jacket because the price was an absolute steal for a GORE-TEX jacket. I considered the 686 GLCR GORE-TEX GT jacket and Burton 2L GORE-TEX jackets. I ultimately decided on this jacket because it offers the same quality and features as the other two jackets at a much cheaper price.
What I love about it
- Fit: The fit of this Volcom jacket is perfect for me. It offers just enough room to allow free range of motion and layers underneath, but not at all baggy.
- Range of Motion: This jacket offers more than enough room to throw my shoulders for twists without being restricted.
- Design: The amount of features that Volcom jam-packed into this jacket is extremely impressive. It has multiple pockets for plenty of storage options, an adjustable hood that can be clamped to my helmet, a whistle on the zipper for emergencies, and vents to open up when I start to work up a sweat.
- Style: This jacket is designed to be a regular fit: not too baggy nor too form-fitting.
- Quality of Materials: As this jacket is made of the best waterproofing material on the market, I would say the build looks just as good as it feels.
- Durability: I haven’t had any issues with this jacket yet; no signs of stress on the materials after four days on the mountain.
- Pockets: There is plenty of pocket space. This jacket has a dedicated phone pocket with headphone access, a lift pass pocket on the sleeves for easy access, a vented goggle pocket to keep them dry, and even more.
- Waterproofing: GORE-TEX and fully taped seams. Need I say more? The adjustable powder skirt and wrist cuffs also help keep snow out of unwanted places. This jacket makes me feel like I can go swimming through powder without getting wet.
- Breathability: This jacket has a breathability rating of 20,000g. And if that isn’t enough, there are also two vents under the armpits with mesh to allow airflow and keep snow out.
- Weight: This jacket is extremely lightweight; almost as light as a rain jacket.
- Features: This jacket is full of features: a helmet-compatible hoodie than can be adjusted and clipped to my goggles, a suede chin guard, a whistle on the zipper, adjustable wrist cuffs, a media pocket with headphone access, a lift ticket pocket on the sleeve, an adjustable powder skirt, and Volcom Ziptech that can be used with compatible pants.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Warmth: The only issue I have with this jacket is the warmth because this is an uninsulated shell jacket. The easy solution is adding some warm base and mid-layers to keep the warmth in. Though on bluebird days, this jacket has been more than enough to keep me warm when used with my bibs.
Favorite moment with this gear
I’ve worn this jacket on the slopes on four different days and received compliments every time. It looks great and functions just the same.
Value for the money vs. other options
This jacket may be a little more than others in the market, but the GORE-TEX construction is more than worth the investment. Compared to other GORE-TEX shell jackets like the 686 GLCR GORE-TEX GT jacket and Burton 2L GORE-TEX jackets, this jacket basically offers the same features at a much more budget-friendly price.
For those looking for a waterproof but breathable shell jacket, there’s no need to look any further. Priced much cheaper than other comparable jackets in the market, this jacket offers plenty of convenient and functional features, all while looking and fitting great.