Expert Review: POC Zonula Clarity Goggles
This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2022.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2022.
The POC Zonula Clarity Goggles incorporate a really cool combination of eco-friendly sustainability and outstanding functionality. These goggles have a great field of view, and the Clarity lens makes them great for all types of skiing.
About this gear
- Model: 2022 POC Zonula Clarity
- Size: Standard/oversized
- Does it feature lens replacement?: No
- Fit: True to size, but I have a large face.
- Helmet: 2022 POC Obex BC MIPS
- Wear glasses with goggles: No
- Experience: 25 years skiing, 16 years ski racing
- When I bought them: February 2022
- Days used: 30+ days
- Lenses I own: Clarity Spektris Ivory
- Weather conditions used in: Bluebird, storm, powder, and whiteout
- Where I’ve used them: Oregon and PNW skiing
- Terrain: Resort, backcountry, and ski racing
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for POC goggles that were a little more freeride-oriented than my last pair, which was the POC Cornea. Plus, the quality of the lens was very important to me. The POC Zonula Clarity was a good fit with such a great field of vision.
Why I chose this gear
Not only do these goggles have a good-looking design, but the feel was great on my face, and the lens was just so well done. These goggles also sat flush with my POC helmet, so the fit was just right. I have used many other POC goggles over the years, such as the Cornea, the ORB Clarity, the Fovea Clarity, and the POC Lobes. All are great goggles, but the Zonula’s frame riggers make the fit much more comfortable on my face.
What I love about them
- Fit: For my large face, these goggles fit very well. By nature, they are oversized, so for the larger face profile, they fit well both on my nose but with great pressure all around the frame.
- Comfort: No stressed areas or pressure on my nose/bridge area. The comfort is very nice. The foam padding is very plush, so there is no unwanted wind as I ski.
- Lens replacement: It does not come with an extra lens for contrasting weather. I have other lenses for it, which are extremely easy to swap out.
- Ventilation: Ventilation is great, even with a helmet that fits flush with the top of the goggles. Even when overheating in powder conditions, the goggles vent the heat out quickly.
- Visibility: Best goggles I have ever skied in for field of vision. Great up and down and side-to-side frame. My standard lens is tough in flat light or storm days but does okay. On sunny days, the lens does great. Keeps the bright snow and sun out of my eyes and provides UV protection. I recommend getting an extra low light or clear lens for storm days. Very easy to change out.
- Face frame: The face frame fits well, with good coverage over my eyebrows, and for a larger face, they have good coverage under my eyes. The multiple layers of foam ensure a comfortable fit, perfectly molding to the face.
- Strap: The strap is great, as it has a silicone grip on the inside to secure the strap, so it doesn’t move on the helmet or hat.
- Helmet compatibility: I also have a POC helmet, so the goggle and helmet combo works great. The goggle and helmet fit flush with no gaps and no air.
- Features: From what I remember, the goggles have UV protection (UV 400) and anti-scratch treatment on the lens to help reduce wear on the outer lens.
- Durability: Feel on the face is good, thanks to the triple foam padding on the frame. The quality of the product is satisfactory, thanks to the bio-plastic frame's sturdiness and the goggle band's quality, which isn’t too flimsy or rugged. The Zonula goggle optics are very good, thanks to POC's research and development over the years in their optic department.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Other: No magnetic lens switch out, which seems behind the times, considering most of the competitors have magnet lenses.
Favorite moment with this gear
I knew these goggles were an excellent match for me when I put on the POC Zonula Clarity goggles for the first time. Considering my POC helmet was compatible with the new goggles, it was just a perfect fit. Not only do they look really good, but they're so cool because they are made from 47% bio-based materials. Seeing a wide area ahead was such a nice feeling as I rode.
Value for the money vs. other options
As a lifelong POC fan, considering their helmet saved my life (actually), the POC family of winter products is always worth it. These new Zonula Clarity goggles are just as great as the other high-end top-tier goggles on display. Other options might include Oakley Flightdeck, which also has a large field of vision but doesn't feel as good on the face. Also, Smith I/O XL Mag are comparable goggles and have magnetic lens compatibility, but I think the POC are just as great as the Smith.
With an eco-friendly and bio-based goggle frame, easy-to-change lenses, and an excellent field of view, the POC Zonula Clarity goggles are the best choice for any and all conditions.