Expert Review: Mountain Hardwear Men's Boundary Ridge™ GORE-TEX® Bib PantsPublished on 11/22/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the bib pants, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2020.
All photos courtesy of Rachel Puma
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the bib pants, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2020.
The Mountain Hardwear Men's Boundary Ridge™ GORE-TEX® Bib Pants are great for someone who wants to stay dry when outside in the snow, rain, and slush. These are my everyday go-to riding pants. Over the years of riding, I learned that GORE-TEX is a technology that I want in my gear. I know the value and comfort it brings to my riding.
About the pants I own
- Brand: Mountain Hardware
- Model: Men's Boundary Ridge™ GORE-TEX® Bib Pants
- Size Fit: True to size
- Height: 5’3”
- Weight: 150lbs
- Pant size: Men's medium (this model is available in women’s also)
- Experience: 28 years of snowboarding and 35 years of skiing
- When I bought these: November 2020
- Days used: 75
- Where I’ve used them: Snowboarding, skiing, snowshoeing, cross country skiing in Oregon, Washington, and Tahoe
- Weather conditions used in: Snow, rain, sunny days, powder days, warm spring days
How they perform
What I was looking for
I had been searching for a couple of seasons for the best-fitting bibs. I wanted something that I could wear all season, keep me dry, and which I could hike in while doing other snow activities. After trying on at least 30 different models, I was stoked on these pants
Why I chose this gear
These bibs fit me perfectly and had GORE-TEX technology. I wanted this technology because staying dry on the mountain is very important and gives me the ability to stay out longer when riding and hiking. I also considered Dakine STOKER GORE-TEX and Burton Men's Burton Cyclic GORE-TEX 2L Bibs, but I went with these bibs because they were the best-fitting.
What I love about them
- Fit: I was looking for something that was a relaxed fit and that suited my frame. These bibs allowed me to ride, hike up any type of terrain, and my legs had full motion and ability to move. There is a really good relaxed fit and stretch in the fabric.
- Comfort: This is my first pair of bibs, and I can wear them all day.
- Warmth: I prefer shell pants. I always wear a mid-layer pant underneath, and on cold days I wear a heavier layer. Up top I may layer up with two layers, and I don't feel stuffed in them.
- Waterproofing: The GORE-TEX is 100% dependable. I never feel wet when I’m in snow, riding in slushy spring days, or when it's raining.
- Durability: This quality and material will last years. The only damage is my fault. I got a burn hole in my pants from a fire. The hole has never expanded or gotten worse. I did get the brown color, and I tend to get them dirty in the springtime; but I just wash them correctly and they come out brand new.
- Weight: These bibs are lightweight, and the lighter my gear is the more comfortable I am riding or hiking.
- Ease of movement: No problem hiking and riding in the pants. I could probably do a split if I could.
- Special Features: I love all the pocket options, and the zippers are easy to zip.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Breathability: I wish it had vents in the legs for more breathability. I don’t overheat in these, but when I am riding, I do like to open my vents specially on spring days. So I tend not to wear any layers underneath except shorts when I know it's going to be like 50 or 60 degrees on the mountain.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite memory in my bibs is waking up in my van on a bluebird day at the base of Mt. Hood. Throwing on my bibs, making some coffee, and then getting first tracks.
Value for the money vs. other options
GORE-TEX technology is worth the money. I prefer to protect myself from wet conditions; I am also a photographer, so I can be laying in the snow for hours and I need to stay dry. Also, the Mountain Hardwear Boundary bibs are better priced than similar models from Burton and Dakine.
These Bib pants will last me for years and 100% worth every dollar. I can spend hours hiking and riding on the mountain. If I’m out shooting riders in the snow, I know I will be comfortable and dry for hours in one spot.