Expert Review: Burton GORE-TEX Gondy Leather Mitt
This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
The Burton GORE-TEX Gondy Leather Mitts are great, warm, leather mittens for snowboarders and skiers. They are comfortable, durable, and can withstand extremely cold temperatures.
About the mittens I own
- Model: 2022 Burton GORE-TEX Gondy Leather Mitt
- Size: Small
- Height: 5’8”
- Weight: 145lbs
- Experience: 20 years of snowboarding
- When I bought them: November 2021
- Days used: 90+
- Weather conditions used in: Whiteout blizzards, freezing cold pow days, overcast winter days, sunny bluebird winter days, rainy wet days, sunny spring days
- Where I’ve used them: Kirkwood Mountain Resort, Northstar, The Palisades, CA; Lake Tahoe Backcountry, Heavenly Mountain Resort, NV
- Terrain: Resorts, backcountry, around the house
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was searching for a reliable and durable glove option to keep me warm on the coldest days snowboarding in Lake Tahoe. I wanted a soft leather that had a cool color to go with my kit.
Why I chose this gear
This product stood out to me because of the awesome rawhide color GORE-TEX leather package that has great waterproofing and warmth. They also have the Burton-exclusive Screen Grab technology, which allows me to use my phone or any touchscreen while wearing the gloves. I considered buying the normal finger glove version of the Gondy, but I ultimately went with the mitten version instead. I believe keeping the fingers together instead of separating them keeps my hands warmer for longer.
What I love about them
- Fit: These gloves fit great from wrist to fingertip. They are nice and snug so that I have just enough room to move around, but don’t have any excess material that gets in the way of strapping into my bindings.
- Comfort: They are super comfortable with plush inner liners and a padded entry into the mitten. They feel like a cozy blanket around my hands and also have very soft leather on the outside.
- Ease of movement: The movement is nice in the Gondy Mitt. The thumb is positioned perfectly, so there is no restriction when grabbing. The adjustable wrist closure provides plenty of flexibility in the wrist as well.
- Warmth: They are definitely the warmest mitten I have ever owned. I’ve never had a bad day due to cold hands with the Gondy. The leather and GORE-TEX materials are top-notch when it comes to keeping my hands warm.
- Waterproofing: The Gondy mittens keep my hands dry all day, even on warmer, wetter days snowboarding. The GORE-TEX waterproofing is top quality.
- Conditions: These mittens thrive in cold temperatures and deep snow.
- Touchscreen compatibility The Gondy mittens are touchscreen compatible and they work great. I was skeptical how well they would work in the snow, but I can send texts with ease without taking my hands out of the mittens.
- Features: The liners in the mitten are plush and soft, which keeps my hands feeling nice all day. They have adjustable wrist cords that work well to keep them close by if I take them off; otherwise I’d probably lose them. They also have a soft fabric on the outside of the thumb for wiping off goggle lenses.
- Quality: They have a very soft leather outside and super silky inner liners. They look and feel amazing with all my different kits.
- Durability: I snowboarded 90+ days in Lake Tahoe with these mittens and they still look almost brand new. No wear and tear with any stitching or holes in the materials. They are a really solid and durable glove.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Breathability: The only issue I’ve encountered with breathability is on slightly warmer days. I have noticed my hands warming up and starting to sweat later in the season, but that’s to be expected when using a cold weather glove on a warmer day.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite day with the Gondy Mitts was my first experience split-boarding. I had finally purchased a full split setup and got an amazing pow day to go hike a really cool line I had been studying for a while. However, it was an insanely cold day, about -10℉ with the windchill. I was worried my hands would freeze, but the Gondys kept them toasty all day long, even with me having to take my hands in and out of the gloves to adjust gear and whatnot. I was blown away and have been a fan of the Gondys ever since!
Value for the money vs. other options
These gloves are extremely valuable for the money. I have purchased other gloves in the past for around half the price, and they just didn’t hold up over time. The Volcom Service GORE-TEX Mittens are a similar option for about 10 dollars less than the Gondys that perform great as well. I can see myself using my Gondys for several more years, whereas other gloves I’ve owned have usually lasted one season.
Having the Gondys in my arsenal allows me to focus on riding and having a blast instead of having cold hands. They keep me out on the mountain longer and keep my stoke levels higher than any other glove I’ve owned.