Expert Review: Hestra Wakayama Gloves
This review is my honest opinion of the gloves, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2019.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the gloves, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2019.
The Hestra Wakayama gloves are a great resort glove or in-town glove. They are a great stylish pair of five-fingered all-leather gloves made by the best ski glove manufacturer in the world, Hestra.
About this gear
- Model: 2022 Hestra Wakayama
- Size: 10
- Height: 6’0’’
- Weight: 175lbs
- Experience: 26 years skiing, 16 years ski racing
- When I bought them: November 2019
- Days used: 30+ days
- Weather conditions used in: Sunny days, warm days, cold days, and wet days.
- Where I’ve used them: Mt. Bachelor in Bend, OR
- Terrain: Resort skiing and in-town use
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for a stylish brown-on-brown all-leather glove good for skiing and in-town use. Comfort was important, and the Wakayama was very comfortable for both skiing and in-town use.
Why I chose this gear
These gloves were stylish and retro-inspired brown-on-brown all-leather gloves made for skiing. The wool liner allows the hands to be warm during cold days but can be removed to be able to dry. Some other options I thought of were the Hestra Fall Line mitten and the Hestra Fall Line Three-finger glove.
What I love about them
- Fit: Excellent. I have large hands and very long skinny fingers, so the Hestra 10 is a great fit for my hands.
- Comfort: They are really comfortable and sit on the hands nicely. Not too tight and not too loose.
- Ease of movement: The leather is stiff at first, but once broken in, the gloves are very easy to move.
- Warmth: Both the cowhide and the inner wool provide excellent warmth on extremely cold days.
- Breathability: On warm days, the gloves are warm with the wool inserts, but at times too warm. If I take the liners out, they are great utility leather gloves.
- Weight: Nothing out of the ordinary.
- Conditions: The gloves thrive in really cold weather and cold snow days. Anything warmer, my hands will be too warm.
- Features: The Wakayama gloves have handcuffs, a removable lining, and a wrist adjustment with a paracord. They also are compatible with the Hesta wrist elastic tether.
- Quality: Excellent quality. Hestra makes the best gloves in the world.
- Durability: Awesome durability. The cowhide outer makes these gloves tough.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Waterproofing: Without waterproofing, the cowhide gloves are susceptible to being penetrated by water. Once I waterproofed them, they were fantastic.
- Touchscreen compatibility: These gloves are not touchscreen compatible because they are leather.
- Other: Not made for deep powder days. The cuff is a touch short but a great glove otherwise.
Favorite moment with this gear
Putting the Hesta Wakayama five-finger gloves on for the first time was like putting cashmere in a glove on my hands. They felt warm, comfortable, and durable right after putting them on. When I was skiing, not only did I receive many compliments, but inquiries as to where to get them. They skied well, letting my hands stay warm, buckle my boots easily, and use all my sippers without any problems or grip issues.
Value for the money vs. other options
If one buys ski or snowboard gloves and asks what’s worth it, Hestra is always worth it, especially the Wakayama glove. Hestra makes the best gloves in the world. There isn’t a close second. The Wakayama has a cowhide outer protecting against weather and wind and a removable wool fleece liner to keep warm and easy to clean. If there were another glove to consider, I’d suggest the Frontier Mittens by Give’r. Those gloves are great utility leather gloves with great functionality. Or, some of the leather glove options to consider are Kinco gloves for great functionality at a great price point.
Vintage Japanese style meets modern craftsmanship with the Hestra Wakayama five-finger glove. Both warm and durable, these gloves are the ultimate resort glove for skiing and are fashionable.