Expert Review: Burton Step On Snowboard Bindings · 2022Published on 12/05/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the snowboard bindings, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2020.
All photos courtesy of Nefi Rodriguez
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the snowboard bindings, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2020.
In my opinion, the Burton Step On Snowboard Bindings are the absolute best binding for ease of use and for people like me who want to hop off the lift and right into riding. One can step in and out of them in a second flat after doing it a few times.
About the bindings I own
- Model: 2020 Burton StepOn Reflex (no significant differences between the 2020 and 2022 models)
- Size: Medium
- Burton channel compatible: Yes
- Mini disc: No
- Height: 5’5”
- Weight: 155lbs
- Experience: 15 years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: November 2020
- Days tested: 50+
- Board: Burton Skeleton Key
- Boot: Burton StepOn Photon
- Where I’ve used it: Crystal Mountain, White Pass, WA; Winterpark, CO; Big Bear, CA
- Terrain: Groomers, powder, tree runs, park
How they perform
What I was looking for
I wanted the StepOn bindings because my ski shop manager recommended them; I normally ride with skiers, and this binding allows me to get going downhill just as fast as them. I felt I was missing an easy way to get in and out of my bindings when getting off the lift.
Why I chose this gear
I chose them because of their ease of use. And after testing this and the K2 clicker, the StepOn system was lightyears better. The StepOn system is easy to use and has amazing response when riding.
What I love about them
- Binding adjustability in boots: No need to adjust; the binding is matched to a group size of boots. I simply step on and that's it. It works perfectly every time without me needing to make adjustments or worrying about them coming loose.
- Stance adjustability: They accommodate any stance with an easy way to adjust simply using a screwdriver.
- Comfort: They are extremely comfortable with no bindings over the boot causing tightness or discomfort. I can ride all day without feeling pain or any type of discomfort afterwards.
- Shock absorption: It is not extremely damping, but I do feel it provides good slower-speed cushioning.
- Responsiveness: They are extremely responsive. I feel locked into the board and any foot movement instantly translates to the board.
- Carving: The responsiveness really makes carving easy and a pleasure. I can carve without even needing to try much.
- Ease of turn initiation: Turn initiation is immediate thanks to being locked into the board. Whether I am in powder or in tight-knit trees, I have immediate response whenever needed.
- Buttering: I do not do much buttering, but on rare occasions when I need to, I do not feel held back by the bindings.
- Durability: I have used these for over 50 days and they still look and perform as if new. They have held up extremely well over time and I expect them to hold up for many years to come.
- Weight: I love how lightweight these are: no extra weight from straps and buckles. The light weight helps me remain comfortable and less tired from riding all day.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Other: The only drawback I have found is the small clip on the back of each binding meant to hold one’s pants out of the way of stepping in can sometimes break.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment is honestly every time I get off the lift and step on to my board and am instantly riding without needing to sit down. I board with a lot of skiers, and being able to hop right onto my board and not need to sit down and be cold is incredible.
Value for the money vs. other options
This is 100% worth the money, especially for those already searching for new boots and bindings. There are other bindings in the same price range, such as the Nitro Team Pro, that are not as responsive and definitely don't have the ease of use of just stepping in. While the Nitro bindings have excellent dampening, that is not enough to cover the rest of the bonuses and ease of use I get from the StepOn bindings.
My final verdict is that these are currently the best bindings for me in 99% of situations. I use them on every single board from my all terrain board to my powder boards and even on my giant Nitro Cannon. I sold off my other boots and bindings, as I found no more need for them.