Expert Review: Volcom Men's L GORE-TEX® PantsPublished on 12/04/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
Posing in front of the Needles Range at Purgatory. All photos courtesy of Irving S.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
The Volcom Men’s L GORE-TEX pants are designed for beginner to expert riders. I ride these comfortably in the park and powder thanks to their protection from the wind and snow. In addition, I love the loose fit that allows a full range of motion and the ability to layer underneath on colder days.
About the pants
- Brand: Volcom
- Model: Men’s L GORE-TEX Pants
- Size Fit: True to size
- Height: 5’9”
- Weight: 150lbs
- Pant size: Small
- Experience: 10 years of snowboarding/skiing
- When I bought these: March 2022
- Days used: 5
- Where I’ve used them: Purgatory Resort, Colorado, and Copper Mountain, Colorado.
- Weather conditions used in: Snowy, windy days; sunny spring days; and cold early season conditions.
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for non-insulated snowboard pants that were dry but still breathable since I tend to run warm. I also needed something with a looser fit for a maximum range of motion for freestyle riding.
Why I chose this gear
I chose these snowboard pants because they are made with GORE-TEX material, which provides ample waterproofing (28,000mm), breathability (28,000g/m²), and fully taped seams. I also enjoy the loose and stylish GPT Articulated Fit that Volcom offers. I also considered the Volcom Longo GORE-TEX pants because they offer the same benefits, but I ultimately chose these due to the lower price point.
What I love about them
- Fit: I was looking for a loose fit that was true to size. Thanks to the adjustable Velcro straps, I love that these fit nicely around my waist while providing ample room in my thighs and knees.
- Comfort: These pants are very comfortable. I have no issues moving around in them and layering underneath when needed.
- Waterproofing: The GORE-TEX material is extremely waterproof. Whether it’s snowing hard or the snow is wet and slushy, these keep me completely dry.
- Breathability: The material is highly breathable and also has zippered vents on the inner seams. I love the cooling effect I get from these pants when I start to break a sweat.
- Durability: These pants have been very durable for the type of riding I like to do. I’m constantly pushing myself on jumps, rails, and tree runs. There is some noticeable wear from taking some very hard falls in the park, but nothing that has affected the performance. There is very small damage on the right leg of the pants. This is due to me hitting a rail pretty hard with my shins. They can be easily repaired with a GORE-TEX fabric patch if needed. I expect them to last me for many more seasons.
- Weight: Light.
- Ease of movement: Thanks to the loose fit, there’s room for lots of movement.
- Quality: The materials feel premium and soft to the touch. There are no loose stitches. The seams are fully taped, and the hems are reinforced, which makes these feel extremely high quality.
- Special Features: One of my favorite unique features about these pants is the Volcom Zip Tech jacket to pant interface. This means the powder skirt of my Volcom jacket can zip to my Volcom pants, which keeps the snow completely out no matter how hard I fall or how deep the snow is.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Warmth: The warmth provided in these pants is minimal since they are only a shell. I have to layer them underneath on colder days. However, I love that these keep me cool since I tend to run quite warm when snowboarding.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with this gear was on a March powder day. I was riding in the trees and found a cliff with a soft, powder landing. I went for it confidently, and even though I ended up tomahawking, the Zip Tech kept any snow from going into my back and legs. It was a blast to send it on something I normally shy away from.
Value for the money vs. other options
These are a little more than other GORE-TEX offerings, like the Burton Ballast 2L pants. They both offer the same GORE-TEX protection, but the Volcom Zip Tech makes these worth the extra money. Just remember that a compatible Volcom Zip Tech jacket is required.
These are absolutely my favorite snowboard pants. They allow me to comfortably get into deep carves, ride the park, and not worry about getting snow down my pants or up my jacket. On top of that, I stay completely cool and dry when I start to break a sweat.