Expert Review: Atomic Savor HelmetPublished on 12/10/2022 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the helmet, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
Skiing the backcountry in Wyoming. All photos courtesy of Michael M.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the helmet, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
The Atomic Savor is a great overall helmet. It is comfortable, is warm, and has a good helmet/goggle fit. This is a great helmet for the everyday resort skier that wants a comfortable, warm, and protective helmet. However, it may not be the best if one overheats easily and wants a lot of vents on their helmet.
About the gear
- Model: 2022 Atomic Savor Helmet
- Size: M
- Height: 5’9”
- Weight: 165lbs
- Head circumference: 156cm
- Goggles: Atomic Q4
- Experience: 30 years of snowboarding/skiing
- When I bought this helmet: December 2021
- Days tested: 40
- Where I’ve used it: Steamboat, Winter Park, Wyoming backcountry, Kicking Horse.
- How I’ve used it: Resort, backcountry, and big mountain.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I needed to replace a dented helmet I had used for a few years. I was looking for a better fit with my goggles and an upgraded fit system than my old Smith. This helmet was a good price, and I liked the color scheme. It fit seamlessly with my new Atomic goggles and had a more enhanced fit system.
Why I chose this gear
I went with the Atomic Savor helmet because it was a better fit for my head and for my goggles than any other helmet I tried on. I also don’t get hot easily, so I wasn’t too worried about the smaller vents. I also liked the goggle strap in the back and the easy adjustments. I looked at the Smith Quantum; however, this was a better price and fit. It also has great safety ratings, which is a big plus for me.
What I love about it
- Protection: This helmet is very protective during falls. It has a 30% higher protection rating than industry standards which is reassuring when skiing aggressively.
- Comfort: I love how comfy this helmet is. I can wear it all day on the hill and then to the bar afterward without being uncomfortable. The 360-degree fit really allows me to dial in the right sizing for my head.
- Sizing: I have a standard head size—7¼ in hat sizes—and the medium fits perfectly. I have had other helmets that I am in between the large and medium, but I like how well I fit in the medium size. It also has a good pocket for my head, not too deep or too shallow.
- Fit system: This has a 360-degree fit system, which hugs my head very nicely. It's easy to use and comfy.
- Liner: The liner in this is comfy and molds to my head as I wear it. It doesn’t peel out and is nice and soft on my head.
- Earpads: No issues at all with the ear pads. They are soft and don’t crush my ears when wearing the Savor all day.
- Goggle compatibility: I tried this helmet with the Atomic Q4 goggle, which fit perfectly. There was no gap, and I didn’t even have any airflow above the goggle. The goggle hook in the back is also very easy to use.
- Weight: This isn’t the lightest helmet out there, but it is plenty light for any skier. I never had any issues with the weight and even toured with it on several occasions.
- Built-In Features: The Savor helmet does not have a lot of features; however, the moldable feature in the liner works great.
- Durability: I put this through the wringer and never had any issues. I hit tree limbs, took some good falls, and only had small scratches.
- Quality of Materials: All of the materials seem of good quality. No chipping or fraying on anything.
- Style: I like the sleek style of this helmet. It doesn’t make my head look too bulky or big and has nice lines.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Breathability: This is the only downside to this helmet. It only has small vents in the back that don’t do much for ventilation.
Favorite moment with this gear
The best moment in my Atomic Savor helmet was a great powder day up on Loveland Pass. It was a cold day, and I toured in my helmet to stay warm and then skied pow all the way down.
Value for the money vs. other options
I think the Atomic Savor helmet is hard to beat for the price. It is comfy and protective and also has a really nice look. It is a better price point than the Giro Grid Spherical Helmet and has a better fit and sleeker design. It is more expensive than something like the Smith Mission; however, it is a much better design, in my opinion.
Overall, I really like this helmet. It is very comfortable, warm, and provides some extra protection. Although it doesn’t have a lot of ventilation, it still gets the nod for me, and I will continue to buy this helmet in years to come.