Expert Review: Burton Men's [ak] Swash GORE‑TEX 2L Jacket
This review is my honest opinion of the jacket, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the jacket, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
The Burton [ak] Swash GORE-TEX 2L Jacket is a fantastic shell that will keep its wearer dry in the snow and rain.
About the piece
- Model: 2023 Burton [ak] Swash GORE-TEX 2L Jacket
- Size: Large
- Fit: True-to-size
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 185lbs
- Experience: 15+ years of snowboarding
- When I bought this: November 2022
- Days tested: 5
- Where I’ve used it: East Coast — Vermont and New York
- Conditions I’ve used it in: Resort sunny day, along with local snow and rain
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a new shell-style jacket. I wanted something that would be more waterproof than my last jacket.
Why I chose this gear
I chose this gear because it aesthetically looked like what I wanted. I also chose this gear because it was GORE-TEX, which was a requirement of mine as well.
I also looked at the Volcom L GORE-TEX Jacket, but I liked how the Burton Swash looked more than the Volcom jacket.
What I love about it
- Fit: The Swash fits just as a jacket should. It's the perfect length, and it does not have too much excess room in the body — just enough to layer a hoodie underneath for cold days.
- Design: I love the shell design of the Swash jacket. This allows someone to wear the jacket on warmer days without overheating and layer in colder weather. One jacket for all season long.
- Style: The jacket is form-fitting, with just enough play to not give a claustrophobic feeling.
- Quality of Materials: The quality of the Swash is superb. It does not feel cheaply made or as if the seams will rip. The zippers are also super sturdy, and no loose fabric can get caught in them.
- Durability: I expect to have this jacket for years to come, as it appears very durable and well-made. The fabric does not feel cheap, and the seams feel very strong. I am not concerned about seams fraying or the fabric tearing or splitting.
- Waterproofing: The GORE-TEX is amazing, as it has kept me bone-dry.
- Breathability: The Swash is breathable, and it has mesh underarm vents to help air flow as well.
- Features: I really like the large hood, which keeps me dry when it rains and snows. The hood fits loosely over my helmet, so it does not impact my range of motion. I also really like the wrist gaiters and integrated thumb-hole sleeves. This helps to keep snow out of my sleeves when I take a tumble. No skin shows around my wrist, as I can use the thumb-hole sleeves inside my gloves.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Range of Motion: I feel the underarm area is a little tight when I layer up. This does impact my range of motion if I want to lift my arms up more than 90 degrees.
- Pockets: The Swash has chest pockets, lower jacket pockets, a phone stash pocket, a pass pocket, and a goggle pocket. However, I am not a fan of the lower pockets and how the zipper is straight up and down. This makes me worry about things falling out if I forget to zip my pocket. I wish the zipper was on the top of the pocket and ran parallel to my waistline.
- Warmth: The Swash is not that warm for very cold days, and one will need to layer up with a hoodie or sweatshirt. It is primarily a shell, and it does not have significant insulation to be a standalone jacket for colder days.
- Weight: The Swash is a slightly heavier jacket, but I believe that is because of the durable materials with which it's made. One does not notice the weight when I wear it, only carrying it in my arms.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with this jacket was taking a bad fall when I slipped out on some ice at Stratton, and to my surprise, I stayed very dry with no snow being forced up my sleeve. I also did not get any snow up my back. My old jacket would always result in snow entering one way or another. The Swash kept all the snow out, and it ultimately kept me dry.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Swash is a more expensive jacket, but I do feel the quality warrants the price. For a more budget-friendly GORE-TEX option, the Volcom Men’s L GORE-TEX Jacket may be a better option. The Volcom has many of the same features as the Swash but at a more attractive price point.
The Burton [ak] Swash is a premium jacket that will keep its wearer dry when conditions get wet. This is not the warmest jacket, but that can lead to more versatility. One can wear it on warmer days without overheating and with some extra layers on colder days.