Expert Review: K2 All Mountain Gripwalk OutsolesPublished on 01/13/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the GripWalk Outsoles, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
All photos courtesy of Austen Law
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the GripWalk Outsoles, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
The K2 All Mountain GripWalk Outsoles are a boot sole replacement for any K2 Recon or Anthem boot. These come in two sizes: small (22.5-25.5) and large (26.5-30.5), along with replacement screws. They are a great option to replace the boot's sole instead of buying new boots or re-planing one’s soles.
About the gear
- Model: 2021 K2 GripWalk Outsoles
- Size: Large
- Height: 6’0’’
- Weight: 185lbs
- Street shoe size: 10
- Experience: 26 years skiing
- When I bought these: November 2021
- Days tested: Replaced and have skied them on boots for two seasons
- Skis: 2021 K2 Mindbender 99Ti
- Bindings: 2021** **LOOK SPX 12
- Where I’ve used it: Mt. Bachelor
- Terrain: Groomer, mixed snow, powder
How they perform
What I was looking for
I needed a sole replacement for my K2 Recon boots. K2 made it easy to replace their boot soles instead of buying new boots. I wanted a GripWalk sole to make walking easier when I wasn’t in the bindings.
Why I chose this gear
I have been skiing on the K2 Recon Pro 140 and walked around on them quite a bit, from the chair and the car to the locker room or out to apres-ski activities. I needed to replace the soles, which was an easy fix, rather than buying new ski boots.
What I love about them
- Comfort: The GripWalk makes it easier to walk around outside of the binding and easier to walk normally as the soles have rounded strike points to make it more of a natural walk motion instead of the stiff walking with normal ski boots.
- Weight: These are the same sole as the factory installed, matching the original weight perfectly. Fortunately, the K2 All Mountain GripWalk Outsoles does not change the feel for the skier.
- Durability: They are just as good as the original. The K2 Outsoles add value when replacing. Still, they have great hard plastic with rubber-gripped soles.
- Ease of use: The K2 GripWalk Outsoles are really easy to replace as there are four holes to unscrew. I lift the old worn-out sole and screw in the new one.
- Grip: The added grip from GripWalk makes it safer for the user to walk around freely.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Any workarounds? The quality of the screws is low, so they are easy to strip if one isn’t careful as they install them.
Favorite moment with this gear
I had worn out my soles from walking to and from the car through the parking lot, so my boot soles got eaten up. Of course, the easy solution was to get a new pair of boots, as that is what I had to do for years. Fortunately, K2 was smart to make replacement soles for their new boot line, which was great since it made a great fix for a fraction of the cost of new ski boots. My boots look so much better and fresh with new soles, and they make it easier for the bindings to click with the boots.
Value for the money vs. other options
The K2 All Mountain GripWalk Outsoles are an excellent value. Whether someone installs the outsoles themself or has a ski shop do it, they are a great option to save money and keep their ski boots new without purchasing a brand-new set. These soles also come in a flat sole, like a normal ski boot sole without GripWalk. There aren’t any other options with K2 unless someone removes the soles, grounds the boots to flat, re-planes the boots, and adds platings like a ski racing boot.
Instead of purchasing a new set of ski boots, the K2 All Mountain GripWalk Outsoles make it simple to swap out worn-out soles with new ones in no time. If one needs new soles for their K2 boots, they make it easy to go from beat up and worn out to brand new.