Expert Review: Picture Organic Men's Zephir Bib PantsPublished on 01/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the bibs, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2020.
Riding Illumination Face on Mt. Hood All photos courtesy of Will Koons
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the bibs, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2020.
The Picture Organic Zephyr Bibs are great for keeping their wearer comfortable and dry on the mountain, and are suitable for skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels.
About the bibs I own
- Brand: Picture Organic
- Model: Zephyr Bib
- Size Fit: Slightly baggy
- Height: 6’1”
- Weight: 175lbs
- Pant size: Large
- Experience: 20+ years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: October 2020
- Days used: 30+
- Where I’ve used them: Cascade Mountains, Montana, Utah
- Weather conditions used in: I’ve used these bibs in a number of different types of conditions ranging from sunny, spring touring days to harsh, frigid storm conditions
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for new snowboarding bibs because my previous pair of Dakine bibs were starting to show their age and weren't as comfortable or functional as they used to be. I needed an upgrade to stay warm and comfortable on the mountain. I wanted bibs that would provide a high level of waterproof protection and breathability.
Why I chose this gear
It is hard to find a 20k/20k waterproof/breathability combo below $300. These bibs have great tech specs for the price point. I was also intrigued by the recycled materials used in their construction. I considered a pair of Dakine bibs, but I wanted to try a lesser known brand and see how the recycled materials would hold up.
What I love about them
- Fit: Their fit is slightly baggy, but that is great for my range of motion.
- Comfort: I am impressed with how comfortable these bibs are. They shed water so well that even after skiing they aren’t water logged and are still comfortable.
- Warmth: These bibs are just a shell. They are not insulated, but they provide excellent wind protection and keep me very warm when combined with under layers. I generally wear a light base layer pant but will double up with a thicker pair of insulative pants for really cold days.
- Waterproofing: Their 20k waterproofing specs hold up very well. I’ve used these in snowy and rainy conditions and have always stayed dry and warm.
- Breathability: These bibs are rated 20k breathability, and they perform similarly to other pants I’ve had with that rating. That rating, combined with the built-in vents, provides great moisture removal during strenuous movement.
- Durability: One of the primary reasons I got these was to test the durability of the recycled materials used to construct these bibs. After a season of use, I’ve been very happy with their durability. They’ve held up well and I’ve had no major issues.
- Ease of movement: The slightly baggy fit really allows great movement across a variety of uses.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Weight: These pants are a bit heavier than I am used to. This is due to the recycled materials they are constructed from. Some skiers may want something more lightweight.
Favorite moment with this gear
One particularly great experience I've had using these bibs was on a trip to Big Sky, Montana. The weather was cold and snowy, and the conditions were perfect for snowboarding. I was able to stay warm and comfortable all day thanks to the Picture Organic Zephyr Bibs. They kept the snow out and kept me warm, even during long runs down the mountain. Overall, it was a fantastic day on the mountain, and these bibs played a big part in that.
Value for the money vs. other options
For those considering purchasing the Picture Organic Zephyr Bibs, I would say that they are definitely worth the money. They offer a great balance of style and function, and are made with high-quality materials that are built to last. They are also designed to be comfortable and easy to wear, with features like adjustable suspenders and a stretchy back panel. While there may be cheaper options out there, such as the Dakine A-1 pant, they may not provide the same level of comfort and performance as these bibs. On the other hand, more expensive options might offer similar performance, such as the Dakine Sender bib, but the Zephyr Bibs offer a great value for their price. Overall, I think they are a solid investment for anyone who loves to hit the slopes.
These bibs unlock the ability to have a comfortable and stylish day on the mountain, no matter the weather conditions. They are designed to keep their wearer warm and dry, and allow me to focus on having fun and shredding the slopes.