Expert Review: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter which I tested for two days from September of 2022 to January of 2023.
All photos courtesy of David L. Brown
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter which I tested for two days from September of 2022 to January of 2023.
The Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 is a tremendous putter with a great feel and consistency. This putter would be ideal for a golfer looking to take that next step in their game, whether breaking 90 or winning their club championship.
About the club I tested
- Model: 2020 Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 Putter
- Shape: Blade
- Hosel Neck: Single bend
- Balance Point: 12in
- Shaft Length: 35in
- Grip Type: Pistol
- Finish: Gray Satin
- Average Score: 79
- Handicap: 7
- Experience: 22 years of playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Straight back and through, traditional grip
- Golf Ball Used: 2022 Volvik Vivid Matte Yellow
- Height: 5’10’’
- When I tested the putter: Demoed on two different occasions (September 2022 and January 2023)
- Days tested: 2
- Where I’ve used it: Indoor and outdoor practice greens
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Outside - damp
- Green Speed: Medium
- Grass Type: Bent grass, turf
How it performs
What I was looking for
I prefer mallet putters over any other type of putter, but I wanted to give the Huntington Beach #8 a try because I was testing out the Cleveland Huntington Beach series. I tested the #8 out because, one, it is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Secondly, I am a feel putter and wanted a soft face that would allow me to feel the putt through contact more consistently.
Why I chose to test this club
The Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 Putter is top-of-the-line from its appearance to its performance. The soft feel in the face, paired with its balance, allows the ball to roll off the face consistently. Putting is all about feel, and this putter checks all the boxes, but at this time am going to hold off on purchasing it.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: The Speed Optimized Face Technology has a balancing feature that really allowed me to feel the club striking the ball, which is what I want in a putter.
- Forgiveness: The Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 is very forgiving. Even when the putt isn’t stuck perfectly, it still rolls pure and finds itself rolling out close to those hit in the center of the face.
- Weight: The base head weight is 365g which is ideal as it allows me to bring the putter back and through straight more often than not.
- Alignment: Sharp alignment with the gray satin finish and the black line going back through the head of the putter.
- Length: Being 5’10’’, I prefer a 35in putter as it allows me to swing my arms back and through easily.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Amazing. Pulling this out of the bag is a nice feeling. The steel shaft to the gray satin blade makes the putter stand out.
- Grip Feel: The grip feel was solid. It has an oversized pistol grip which is comfortable regardless of hand placement.
- Balance: The MOI (Moment of Inertia) is high, creating a steady back swing and follow-through, allowing a consistent straight back and straight-through motion each time.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Customization: The only downfall for me personally is that I am not used to a blade putter, and it was visually hard for me to overcome that.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
I demoed the Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 Putter on two occasions to get a feel for how it would perform. Consistency was the name of the game. I made 10 5-footers in a row and 8 out of 10 10-footers. I will take those numbers all day for a guy who doesn’t play as much as he used to.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 Putter runs for around $180 and is one of the better values on the market. I tried the Odyssey DFX series, which is less expensive but doesn't even come close to the feel of the Huntington Beach #8.
Overall, the Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier #8 Putter unlocks potential. The potential to make more long putts and be even more consistent knocking down those 5-10 foot pressure putts without breaking a sweat.