Expert Review: TaylorMade Spider GT Splitback #3 PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for one day in January of 2023.
All photos courtesy of David L. Brown
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for one day in January of 2023.
The TaylorMade Spider GT Splitback #3 is geared for those who struggle to make those 5-10 footers consistently. The Splitback putter has a sleek look that feels great, and its single solid line alignment feature increases confidence with each putt.
About the club I tested
- Model: 2022 TaylorMade Spider GT Splitback #3
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Single bend
- Balance Point: 12 inches
- Shaft Length: 34 inches
- Grip Type: Standard
- Finish: Silver
- Average Score: 79
- Handicap: 7
- Experience: 22 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Straight back and straight through
- Golf Ball Used: 2021 Bridgestone E6
- Height: 5’10’’
- When I tested the putter: January 2023
- Days tested: 1
- Where I’ve used it: Turf
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Inside
- Green Speed: Slow to medium
- Grass Type: Bent grass
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a new mallet putter that offered more consistency on shorter putts within 10 feet as I need to make more pressure putts to get myself down below a 5 handicap.
Why I tested this club
I tried this putter because I saw that Xander Shauffele uses a similar splitback putter and is one of the better, more consistent putters on the PGA tour. I found it to be a great putter that gave me more confidence, specifically on those shorter putts around the hole. I would definitely consider buying this putter in the future if the timing were right.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: The face technology has a balancing feature that allows me to feel the club striking the ball, giving me more confidence to make more putts.
- Forgiveness: Even when the putt isn’t stuck perfectly, it still rolls pure and allows shorter putts to hold their line and farther putts to lag their way close to the hole.
- Weight: The 365g weight is ideal for me as I believe it allows me to bring the putter straight back and through consistently as the weight keeps it low and moving on plane.
- Alignment: The club has great alignment with its black and white head, with the single black line going back to the head of the putter. It allowed me to feel like I was always aligned with where I needed to be aiming.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Pulling this out of the bag is a nice feeling. The steel shaft down to the black and white mallet head really makes the putter stand out.
- Grip Feel: The grip feel was solid as it was tacky and oversized. The Super Stroke TaylorMade partnership looks aesthetically solid with the red and black design, but the feel of the grip allows for optimal performance regardless of the playing conditions.
- Balance: The splitback wings create a balancing feature that allows the putter to stay on its line going back and through very easily. It also allows the backswing and follow-through to stay a consistent length as it’s weighted in such a way that keeps it down and through the stroke.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Customization: I tried the 34-inch putter, which comes down to preference and like 34-inch putters. But I would have liked to try the 35-inch edition to see if that allowed more flow throughout my backswing and follow-through.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
During my practice session, I was focused on short putts within 10 feet and consistently making eight out of 10 putts. I loved the confidence and consistency I had on these shorter putts.
Value for the money vs. other options
I think this putter is worth the value. I also tried the Odyssey DFX 2 Ball and Blade style putters, and all performed well, but for the extra money, I would say the TaylorMade Spider GT Splitback #3 is the better value.
The TaylorMade Spider GT Splitback #3 Putter unlocks confidence within 10 feet of the hole. I believe with this putter in hand, I was a better, more consistent putter and could see my putting numbers improve.