Expert Review: Burton Moto BOA Snowboard Boots · 2021
This review is my honest opinion of the snowboard boots, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the snowboard boots, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
The Burton Moto BOA Snowboard Boots are extremely comfortable, warm, and supportive in just the right places. I can spend all day riding and walking in these boots and never feel like I need to take them off. The newer models have the same great features as the 2021 model but come in different colors.
About the boots I own
- Model: 2021 Burton Moto
- Size: 10
- Lacing type: BOA
- Height: 5’9”
- Weight: 180lbs
- Street shoe size: 10
- Foot shape Regular
- Experience 26 years snowboarding
- When I bought these: November 2022
- Days tested: 30 +
- Board: 2022 CAPiTA D.O.A.
- Bindings: 2022 Union Force
- Where I’ve used it: Park City, Telluride, Heavenly, Backcountry, Snowbasin
- Terrain: Powder, Terrain Park, Groomers, Double Black Diamond
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for new boots that would be comfortable enough to wear all day long in any riding condition. In addition, I wanted the BOA lacing adjustments to fine-tune the tightness of the boot depending on how I want to ride. (For example, I like them looser for groomer runs and a little tighter for park and double blacks.) My old boots were too stiff, and my toes would get cold, but these keep my feet warm on the coldest days.
Why I chose this gear
I chose these boots because I trust the Burton brand to make a great durable product that will last for years. In addition, I liked the BOA lacing system because I like to readjust the boot tension based on riding conditions. I debated going with a stiffer boot for higher performance. Still, comfort was more of a priority because I planned on doing many different types of riding and spending many days at the resort.
What I love about them
- Size: I love how the sizing on these boots is very close to street shoe sizes. Many brands' sizes vary too far from what people normally wear in their street size, making it hard to get it right on the first try when purchasing boots online. However, these fit true to size right out of the box.
- Comfort: I found the comfort aspect of these boots to be perfect from the start. They required very little break-in, and after using them for almost two full seasons with riding 2-3 days per week, they are still just as comfortable as the day I purchased them.
- Warmth: These boots have been perfectly warm on even the coldest days. I forgot my snowboard socks one day while riding on a day when the temperature was -15 degrees, and I had to use the dress socks I was wearing during the drive up. My feet stayed warm and toasty all day long.
- Shock absorption: I have ridden off quite a few kickers, and after casing a couple of the jumps, I found that the shock absorption of these boots is wonderful. I used to have a pair of stiffer boots, and when I would have a hard landing, my feet would feel a shockwave pass through them. I no longer have that problem with these boots.
- Grip: No slipping here. When I walk through the icy patches in the parking lot after a day of riding, I feel confident and can walk normally as if they aren’t there.
- Ease of use: The removable inner boot liner makes these boots easy to dry overnight. The top opens up wide enough to easily put the boot on my foot. While some of my friends struggle and dance around trying to put their boots on, my boots slip on in seconds. The BOA lacing lets me adjust the boots throughout the day in seconds, depending on how I feel or my riding style. This makes it easy to quickly adjust the tension depending on the run I am about to do.
- Durability: I have found these boots to be very durable. While I have had some of my friends’ BOA adjustments break, mine have stayed true since I bought them. No tears and no leather warping after getting wet.
- Weight: I love the weight of these boots. It feels light and airy when I put them on, almost like walking in tennis shoes. I am extremely happy with the weight of these boots.
- Versatility: I have used these boots in almost every category of riding other than racing. They are exactly what I want when riding in the terrain park while giving me enough support to make turns confidently at 65mph.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Heel hold: I find that over time my heel starts slipping slightly. However, it hasn’t become an issue that makes me feel like replacing these boots, as all of the other pros outweigh this negative aspect.
- Responsiveness: Being a softer boot, these boots aren’t as responsive as some of the stiffer options; however, I find them to be perfect for all types of riding in a general sense. I would go with a stiffer boot if I wanted more performance with high-speed fast edge changes.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with these boots was after skiing for the first half of the day when my feet were tired and sore because of the stiff ski boots I wore. I thought I would go home early because my feet were tired, sore, and cold. However, I remember the feeling of slipping on the Burton Motos to go snowboarding for a couple of runs. When I put them on, I felt like I was 30lbs lighter and walking on clouds. I instantly forgot about my foot pain and rode the rest of the day until closing time.
Value for the money vs. other options
These boots are at a wonderful price point. They are perfect for the beginner as part of their first investment into snowboarding and the rider that has been doing it for years.
There are less expensive options, such as the Burton Moto Lace, which has the same flex and warmth; however, it will be missing the BOA adjustment, making it much harder to tension the boot correctly and adjust it throughout the day.
The Burton BOA RULER snowboard boots are another great option at a slightly higher price point, but this gives one a double BOA system for even more tension adjustments.
Overall, the Burton Moto BOA Snowboard Boots are a great purchase for riders looking for an all-around supportive and comfortable boot that will keep them warm in any weather.