Expert Review: Dakine Men's Blazer Mitten
This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2019.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the mittens, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2019.
The Dakine Blazer Mitten is a solid choice for those who are looking for a warm and stylish mitt that can handle all their snowboarding needs. This mitt is great for keeping the hands warm and protected while on the slopes.
About the mitts I own
- Model: 2020 Dakine Men’s Blazer Mitt
- Size: Large
- Height: 6’1”
- Weight: 170lbs
- Experience: 20+ years of snowboarding
- When I bought them: October 2019
- Days used: 100+
- Weather conditions used in: Blizzard, rain, sun
- Where I’ve used them: Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood Meadows, Oregon; Big Sky, Montana; Snowbird, Palisades, Utah
- Terrain: Resort, backcountry
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was on the hunt for a new pair of snowboarding gloves because my old ones were worn out and no longer kept my hands warm on the slopes. I was seeking gear that could handle the cold temperatures, keep my hands dry, and provide enough dexterity for me to grip my snowboard effectively.
Why I chose this gear
I decided to buy the Dakine Blazer Mitt because of its great reputation for warmth and durability, and its stylish design caught my eye. I did consider other options, but after reading reviews and comparing features, I was convinced that the Dakine Blazer Mitt was the best choice for me and would meet all my needs on the mountain. Some examples of other options that I considered before buying the Dakine Blazer Mitt are the Burton GORE-TEX® Mitt, The North Face Etip Glove, Black Diamond Guide Glove, and the Columbia Bugaboo II Fleece Glove.
What I love about them
- Fit: The Blazer is a naturally fitting mitt that doesn’t run small or large. No need to size up or down when purchasing.
- Comfort: These mitts are very comfortable. I’ve used these longer than most gloves I’ve owned and the comfort level is a big part of that.
- Ease of movement: These have a surprising level of dexterity for a mitt. I’ve swapped over skins on bindings on my splitboard with no issues in these mitts.
- Warmth: The Blazer Mitt is very warm for the price point. They’re perfect for average West Coast days. However, I would recommend adding a liner glove for extra warmth on single-digit days.
- Breathability: These are breathable enough that I rarely sweat or have moisture issues despite keeping my hands warm. They are a bit warm for spring touring or uphill travel.
- Touchscreen compatibility: No touchscreen compatibility.
- Durability: I’ve worn these mitts for well over 100 days. That alone speaks to the level of durability Dakine has managed to produce in this product. Rarely have I gotten that much use out of a mid-range mitt.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Waterproofing: This isn’t a GORE-TEX product. It is very water repellant, but if I am in super-wet conditions, eventually they will saturate through.
Favorite moment with this gear
I recently had a trip to Palisades Tahoe and the Dakine Blazer Mitts were my go-to gloves for the entire trip. On the first day, I was expecting a warm and sunny day, but instead, I was caught in a massive snowstorm. I was worried about my hands getting cold and wet, but the Blazer Mitts kept me warm and dry throughout the entire storm. I was able to ride for hours without any discomfort, and it was one of the best days on the mountain I've had in a while. The Blazer Mitts truly elevated my experience and allowed me to fully enjoy the storm without any worries.
Value for the money vs. other options
For those wondering if the Dakine Blazer Mitt is worth the money, I would say it depends on one’s needs and budget. It is priced in the mid-range compared to other gloves on the market, but its quality and performance are definitely worth the price. It provides excellent warmth and protection from the elements, which is what one wants in a snowboarding glove. When compared to cheaper options such as the Columbia Bugaboo II Fleece Glove, the Blazer Mitt definitely has an edge in terms of waterproofing and warmth, but it may not be necessary for someone who only rides occasionally in mild conditions. For those willing to splurge, there are more expensive options like the Black Diamond Guide Glove that offer even more features, but for the average snowboarder, the Dakine Blazer Mitt offers an excellent balance of performance, quality, and value.
The Dakine Blazer Mitt unlocks the full potential of a great day on the mountain, with its unbeatable combination of warmth, protection, and style. It allows riders to focus on the ride, rather than worrying about the conditions—making it an essential piece of gear for any snowboarder.