Expert Review: Burton Men's Reserve 2L Bib PantsPublished on 02/13/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2021.
All photos courtesy of Will Koons
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2021.
In a nutshell, the Burton Reserve 2L Bib Pants are a great pick for intermediate to advanced riders. The bib is packed with features, from its waterproof and breathable material to adjustable straps and ample storage. Whether someone is hitting the backcountry or just cruising the resort, this bib has them covered.
About the pants I own
- Brand: Burton
- Model: Reserve Bib
- Size Fit: Runs true to size
- Height: 6’1”
- Weight: 170lbs
- Pant size: Large
- Experience: 20+ years of snowboarding/skiing
- When I bought these: October 2021
- Days used: 50
- Where I’ve used them: Oregon, California, and Montana. Both resort and backcountry.
- Weather conditions used in: Cloudy, sunny, and actively snowing days.
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was on the hunt for the Burton Reserve Bib because I wanted gear that could keep me dry and warm while snowboarding and ample storage space for carrying gear while touring. I was seeking a bib that would fit comfortably, allow a full range of motion, and be adjustable for a custom fit.
Why I chose this gear
I decided to buy the Burton Reserve Bib because of its reputation for being a high-quality and reliable bib for snowboarding. The waterproof and breathable material, along with the adjustable straps and ample storage, made it seem like the perfect choice for my needs on the mountain. I considered several other options before deciding on the Burton Reserve Bib. Some of the other products I considered were the Columbia Bugaboo II Bib and The North Face Freedom Bib. I ultimately chose the Burton Reserve Bib because of its impressive features and positive reviews from other riders.
What I love about them
- Comfort: The Burton Reserve Bibs are very comfortable. The adjustable shoulder straps help create a custom feel to the fit.
- Waterproofing: The Burton Reserve Bibs have two layers and have a waterproof rating of 15k. They aren’t the most waterproof on the market, but these are stellar for the midrange price point. I use them in a variety of conditions and am very happy with the waterproofing.
- Breathability: Great breathability. I toured with these a few times in sunny weather, and the natural breathability combined with the air vents is perfect.
- Durability: I have worn the Burton Reserve Bibs off and on for a couple of seasons and haven’t had any issues with durability. No tears or abrasions, and nothing has broken.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Warmth: This isn’t really an issue, but if someone is thinking of purchasing the Burton Reserve Bibs, they should be aware that these are shell pants. The bib pants are not insulated or designed for warmth, so they will need to layer underneath depending on weather conditions.
- Ease of movement: Not a major issue, but the crotch is cut somewhat low, and I notice this when taking long strides touring. However, I didn’t have any issues riding, just when walking in tour mode.
Favorite moment with this gear
The Burton Reserve Bib has been my go-to gear for multiple snowboarding trips. I recently went on a backcountry trip, and the bib kept me dry and warm the entire day. It was a heavy powder day, but the bib's waterproof and breathable material ensured I wasn't soaked. With this gear, the possibilities for adventure are endless. I feel confident and comfortable tackling any terrain and conditions.
Value for the money vs. other options
If someone is considering the Burton Reserve Bib, I'd say it's definitely worth the money. Compared to cheaper options like the Burton Hometown Bib or the DC Ply Bib, the Burton Reserve Bib offers a lot more in terms of quality and durability. It's made with top-notch materials and has held up well after multiple seasons of use. While there are definitely more expensive options out there, like the Patagonia Powder Bowl Bib, the Burton Reserve offers a great balance of performance and value for its price.
Overall, the Burton Reserve Bib unlocks a level of comfort, protection, and performance essential for an elevated snowboarding experience. It provides excellent protection from the elements and allows for full mobility on the mountain, making it a great choice for riders of all levels.