Expert Review: NEMO Stargaze Recliner Luxury ChairPublished on 02/19/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the camp chair, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
Relaxing on the beach during a canoe camping trip with the Nemo Stargaze Recliner. All photos courtesy of Jamie Cooper
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the camp chair, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
The NEMO Stargaze Recliner is a great luxury chair for any car camping trip, using up at the cabin or even lounging in the backyard.
About the chair I own
- Model: 2022 NEMO Stargaze Recliner Luxury Chair
- When I bought this: May 2022
- Days tested: 10
- Used for: It has been used for car camping and relaxing in the backyard
- Where I’ve used it: It has been used at Cyuna Recreational Area in MN; Wild River State Park, MN; Taylors Falls State Park, WI; Poplar House Cabins, MN; and in my backyard in Minneapolis, MN.
- Seasons I’ve used it in: Summer, fall, and winter.
- Experience: 20+ years camping
How it performs
What I was looking for
My wife and I had been using smaller camp chairs that we could keep in our camping totes to just toss in the car quickly with all of our other gear. Those chairs are nice and convenient, but on some of our longer outings, we were looking for something comfortable to be able to relax around the fire after long days of hiking and paddling.
Why I chose this gear
I ultimately chose the NEMO Stargaze Recliner because of the build quality and comfort. I tried it out in a local shop, and it was amazing. It’s made from quality materials, and NEMO is a great company producing great products.
What I love about it
- Durability: The base and legs of this chair are about as solid as it gets. I haven't had any rips, tears, or burns in the chair, and the legs are as good as new. The only concern I have is how long the mesh material for the chair will last. It seems like it is of great quality, but if it were ever to rip or get a hole in it from a fire ember, I’m not sure how well it would stay together after that.
- Comfort: This was designed for comfort. From my first sit, I could tell NEMO really thought about the comfort of this chair. It is easy to get in and out of for being a reclining chair. The base is sturdy but not the lightest, but NEMO balanced that with the chair being lightweight.
- Stability: The Stargaze is one of the most stable camp chairs I’ve ever been in. The feet are solid with rubber covers that won’t break, and I have yet to sink into the ground. With the seat being lower to the ground and the base being wide, there is no chance of tipping. It is a great design to be able to sway and recline.
- Weather Resistance: The mesh backing allows the chair to dry quickly when wet.
- Ease of Use): It is fairly straightforward to put together. It takes about 30 seconds to have it fully assembled.
- Car camping: The Stargaze is ideal for car camping because of its size, comfort, and packability. The carry case makes it easy to grab for on-the-go trips or store it with all one’s other gear. However, its weight and packability wouldn’t be fit for backpacking. But I wouldn't look at any other chair for a weekend trip to a local state park where weight isn’t an issue.
- Packability: It comes with a carrying case that has a shoulder sling. It packs up nicely into the bag and makes it easy to store with my other car camping gear.
- Features: The chair has a cup holder and even a little pocket for my cell phone. It can rock/swing, which is great for reclining and rocking by the fire.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Weight: The Stargaze comes in at 7lbs and is too bulky to take backpacking. I would not suggest it for a backpacking trip. However, it is the perfect companion to fit in the car for camping or to bring to the cabin.
- Versatility: This chair is great when weight and space are not concerned. For example, car camping, hanging in the backyard, or tailgating. I wouldn’t recommend this recliner for backpacking or walk-in camping sites.
Favorite moment with this gear
My wife and I took this chair for our first camping trip after getting married, which made it such an enjoyable trip. Being able to sit comfortably around the fire, talking, and just relaxing was great.
Value for the money vs. other options
The NEMO Stargaze Recliner is one of the more expensive chairs out there, but for me, it was 100% worth the cost. I think it is more comfortable than a cheaper folding camp chair and will last much longer. We looked at the ENO Lounger DL Chair and the GCI Kickback Rocker but ultimately went with the NEMO. There are fewer parts and straps to worry about breaking and wearing out over time, and the comfort is second to none.
The NEMO Stargaze Recliner is a great chair for a weekend car camping trip or at the cabin. It is incredibly comfortable and will be the chair that gets fought over.