Expert Review: Obermeyer Men's Orion Pants
This review is my honest opinion of the snow pants, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the snow pants, which I purchased with my own money in October of 2021.
The Obermeyer Orion Pants are a durable, high-quality, insulated snowboard pant that I have owned for three seasons now. I actually need to buy a new pair, since they finally had a tear after 180 days of riding.
About the pants I own
- Brand: Obermeyer
- Model: Orion Pants
- Size Fit Runs true to size
- Height: 5’9”
- Weight: 190lbs
- Pant size: Medium
- Experience: 20 years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: October 2021
- Days used: 180 days
- Where I’ve used them: Aspen Snowmass, Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee Resort
- Weather conditions used in: Sunny spring days, whiteout blizzards, cold icy days, overcast days: basically every condition I can think of
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for a high-quality, insulated pant that would be comfortable, keep me dry, and wouldn’t break the bank. The Orions checked all of those boxes and fit really nicely around my waist.
Why I chose this gear
I chose this gear mainly because of its ventilation and adjustable waist straps. It keeps me super warm in the cold, and on those warmer spring days, I can open up the zippers to vent out the sweat. I used to own a kid’s pair of Obermeyer pants way back in the day, so that’s why I came back to this brand—and it blew away my expectations.
What I love about them
- Fit: I was looking for a comfortable and secure fit. This rests nicely around my waist above my hip, giving me a full range of motion when out on the mountain.
- Comfort: These pants are manufactured with a very comfortable material that doesn’t make me itch. My legs are super hairy, so that is something I appreciate.
- Warmth: The synthetic insulation in these pants does an amazing job of keeping me warm. I think the only time I was a bit chilly was at -20℉ with lots of wind chill at the top of the mountain. Those days are far and few in between.
- Breathability: The synthetic material used allows for lots of breathability and it never seems like the pant is trapping sweat.
- Durability: This pant has lasted me three seasons, and after about 180 days of use, they finally made it to the end of their life span. They even made it through my 100 days on the slopes in 2021, working as a lift attendant for Aspen Ski Company.
- Weight: I don’t notice the weight of these pants. They seem just as normal as any other I might wear.
- Ease of movement: Using these pants in every possible condition, like the park, black diamonds, and any other demanding terrain that requires lots of movement is never a problem.
- Special Features: The thigh vents really help to vent out the sweat on warmer days, especially with my thermals underneath. I really love the fact that I can wear these in any condition. They are always my go-to, daily-driver pant.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Waterproofing: The one and only complaint I have about these pants is that it’s not a bib, which is not an entirely fair critique. Bibs tend to keep out and prevent the snow from entering through the waist and are much better during falls. When I fell hard on my butt or slid down the mountain, there were a few times when some snow got trapped around the waistline, and then it melted, making the waist area a bit wet. In terms of waterproofing in every other aspect, these pants are top-notch.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with my Obermeyer Orion Pants is when my friend and I got separated on the slopes of Elk Camp in Snowmass Village. There was a narrow line of trees separating two different runs. My best friend was actually able to see through the trees and make out my bright-colored pants. He yelled through the trees and I was able to track his movement. We met back up in the tree line and continued on our way.
Value for the money vs. other options
This is an incredible value. The quality that these pants offer for an insulated pant, I might add, is not even comparable. For their price, these pants are a steal. And with Curated’s current secret deal? Next level. Period. When I compare these to the Volcom Men’s GORE-TEX Pants that my friend owns, which have no insulation, and are more expensive, it is an easy decision to go with the Obermeyer Orion Snowboard Pants.
The Obermeyer Orion Snowboard Pants are by far the best I have ever owned. If I had to, I would easily pay $400 for these, even though they retail for much less.