Expert Review: Lamson Remix 3 Pack Fly Reel and 2 Spare SpoolsPublished on 03/08/2023 · 6 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the fly reel and spools, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2018.
Photo by Paul Mason
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the fly reel and spools, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2018.
The Lamson Remix 3 Pack Fly Reel and 2 Spare Spools are perfect for any rod. Having extra spools paired with different lines will make someone’s rod more versatile, allowing them to fish in different waters and conditions. It is perfect for all freshwater applications and some light saltwater.
About the reel
- Model: Remix
- Reel Size: -3+ (available in 4 sizes (-3+, -5+, -7+, -9+) matches a rod plus or minus the listed number)
- Backing Capacity: ~100 yards on smaller sizes
- Arbor: Large arbor reel
- Construction: Unique construction with a machined aluminum frame/pressure-cast aluminum spools
- Drag System: Sealed conical drag
I love fly fishing for trout and have been pursuing them for over 30 years. There is nothing better than seeing a fish rise to a fly. However, I am not a dry fly purist. I also love working with streamers through fishy waters.
- When I bought this: I got my Lamson Remix reel in February 2018.
- Rod Paired with Reel: I have the Remix 3+ for my Sage Approach 9’ 4 wt (comparable to the current Foundation rod).
- Line Paired with Reel: I have paired it with the Rio perception 4-wt line.
- Days tested: 365+. I have used this reel for countless days on the water throughout the years.
- Waters I’ve used it on: I have used this setup to complete both the Utah Cutthroat Slam and the Wyoming Cutt Slam and fishing across Idaho.
- Species targeted with reel: A 4-wt rod/reel is perfect for our small Western streams for trout and ponds for bluegill and small bass.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a good inexpensive reel that I could depend on for my 4 wt.
Why I chose this reel
I chose this reel because I own a couple of other Lamson reels, and I know that they build a great product. I wanted a great reel that fit my price point, and the Remix was perfect.
What I love about it
- Performance: The Lamson Remix is a reel that I can count on when I take it out on the water. The moving components (spool and handle) both run very smoothly, and it is easy to switch out the spools.
- Quality: I like the fully machined aluminum frame. It is light and strong. The spools are pressure-cast aluminum and machined smooth. The Remix is a great mashup of the two materials. I like that it is a strong reel that doesn't cost more than my rod. The Remix isn't a high-end reel but is built well and will get the job done.
- Versatility: I love how versatile this reel is. I use mine for my small stream dry fly rod, but in a larger size wouldn't hesitate to use it for bigger fish and bigger water. I want a larger indicator/lake rod and would love to get a larger 3-pack to go with it. I would match the rod with an indicator line, a full sink line, and an intermediate sink line. This combination of lines will allow me to fish different depths and techniques on lakes and larger rivers.
- Use Case: This reel is great for trout, bass, panfish, pike, salmon, and steelhead.
- Drag System: The drag system on Lamson's reels is super smooth and is the same design as their high-end reels. For my 4 wt, it is probably overkill, but it is there if I need it.
- Feel: This reel has a great feel with a nice finish. When I bought my reel, it was only available in black. It is now available in a smoke (dark gray) and a glacier (silver).
- Build: The build of this reel is really good. Even after five years of use, it performs just like new. There are no worn-out parts, and it doesn't wobble in any way. Lamson has a great lifetime warranty if someone has problems with their reel.
- Aesthetics: Lamson reels are perfectly engineered and look nice with their great machining and sleek finish. This makes the reel feel light in the hand and smooth to the touch.
- Features: I love how easy this reel is to change from a right-hand to a left-hand retrieve. Switching out spools is also very easy with the press-together design.
Issues I've encountered
- Durability: The Lamson Remix is very well made. However, it doesn’t have a high-end finish like more expensive reels. After five years of use, I have a few scuff marks on my reel from regular wear, which is expected, and I have been very careful with it. I have seen a few Remix reels that have bounced around in trucks and boats, and they look pretty beat up.
- Size: This isn't the reel that I would not recommend for larger saltwater fish like tarpon, roosters, and giant trevally. If these are the species that one is after, I would recommend a higher-end reel with both a larger line capacity and a better drag system. However, the Remix makes a great freshwater reel and would be a great backup for light saltwater use. It is perfect for smaller species like trout, panfish, and bass.
Favorite moment with this reel
A few years ago, I was completing the Utah Cutthroat Trout Slam. I was looking for my last subspecies of cutthroat, the Yellowstone cutthroat in northern Utah. I was fishing two hoppers fished in tandem in a small stream no more than four feet wide. My 4 wt was a perfect choice for the day. It wasn't long before the first fish rose to one of the hoppers. I was super excited and set too hard, breaking the fish off. The fish shook its head, trying to throw the fly, and my second hopper got tangled in the grass on the bank. I was able to jump into the stream quickly and net the fish. I could complete my quest for the slam, safely release the fish, and retrieve both flies.
Value for the money vs. other options
This reel is a total bargain and an awesome reel. The 3-pack is an even better bargain because it's like having three reels in one. Additionally, one can line up all the spools to hone in on the performance of their rod.
There are a lot of great reels out there made by other manufacturers at a similar price to the Remix. However, I feel this is a great reel and bargain. There are a few other options that one could consider. They are the Lamson Liquid 3 Pack Fly Reel and 2 Spare Spools and the Cheeky Sighter Triple Play Fly Reel and Spool Bundle.
The Lamson Remix 3 Pack Fly Reel and 2 Spare Spools is an awesome reel at a great price. I highly recommend the Remix if someone is new to fly fishing and setting up their first rod or if they are expanding their fly reel arsenal. I have loved mine. The Remix has a wonderful drag and smooth finish that looks great with whatever rod I put it on.