Expert Review: Titleist 2023 Pro V1x Golf BallPublished on 03/11/2023 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in January of 2023.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in January of 2023.
The Titleist Pro V1x is an ideal golf ball for golfers of all levels. This ball is at its best for players with higher swing speeds looking to increase their distance off the tee without sacrificing control around the greens.
About the golf ball I own
- Model: 2023 Titleist Pro V1x
- Color: White
- Average score: 70
- Handicap: +2
- Experience: 5 years of golf
- Right/Left-handed: Right-Handed
- Typical shot shape: Fade
- Typical trajectory: Medium
- Club swing speed: 120mph driver
- When I bought this: January 2023
- Days tested: 40+
- Where I’ve used it: Practice green, putting mat, and various golf courses
- Weather and wind conditions: High and low winds, rain, warm and cold conditions
- Turf conditions: Firm and soft
- Green speeds: 8-14 on the stimpmeter
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a golf ball that could help me hit the ball further with my driver. I wanted to decrease spin off the tee to help gain distance without sacrificing my ability to spin and control the ball on shorter approach shots and when scrambling.
Why I chose this golf ball
I chose this golf ball because it met all of my requirements for a replacement ball. I also was looking at the TaylorMade TP5x golf ball, and they both performed similarly. Both balls helped me decrease spin with my driver and longer clubs to increase distance while still providing greenside spin and control.
What I love about it
- Distance: The Pro V1x is the longest-distance golf ball I have used aside from the TP5x. The Pro V1x helps decrease spin to produce more total distance. I noticed anywhere from a 5-15 yard increase with all of my clubs and a consistent 10-yard increase with my driver by using this firmer golf ball.
- Green Spin: This golf ball provides me plenty of green spin to have control over all my shots into the green. I am able to spin the ball enough to have it check and stop or even to have it spin back if needed. Compared to the Pro V1, which spins even more, it becomes difficult to control for players with high swing speeds.
- Durability: The Pro V1x has lasted me for more than a round of 18 holes as long as I do not lose it. This ball is the most durable ball I have ever tested. I have played 36 holes straight with one of these balls and noticed very little scuffing of the cover. This ball will only wear out fast if it hits cart paths or in the bunkers, which will chop and scuff up the cover much faster.
- Color: The Pro V1x comes in a glossy white and yellow color. I use the white ball because it is simple, and I often have no problems finding the ball in thick rough.
- Alignment: The Pro V1x has always had my favorite stock alignment aid. The marking on the slide of the ball is simple yet effective for aligning putts the same way every time to help make more putts.
- Workability: This golf ball has been great for shaping golf shots. I have felt fully in control of the spin and trajectory of this golf ball. I have been able to hit both high and low shots as well as draws and fades with no problems.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Feel: The Pro V1x golf ball feels great, in my opinion. However, compared to the standard Pro V1 the x version feels firmer and not as soft. The V1x still has an extremely soft feel, and most players will find it feels very similar to the standard Pro V1 but just a little bit firmer.
Best shot with this golf ball
The best shot I hit with this 2023 Titleist Pro V1x golf ball was on a par 4. I hit a great drive that went extremely far due to the decreased spin from this ball. I hit the drive about 320 yards and was left with 105 to the pin. I hit my 54-degree wedge just past the pin and used the slope and spin from the ball to pull it back toward the hole. The plan worked out even better than expected, and I spun the ball back towards the hole, and it just lipped out. I was left with about a foot to tap in for birdie.
Value for the money vs. other options
The top competitors to the Pro V1x are the Bridgestone Tour B X and TaylorMade TP5x, and they are comparable in price. As a result, the Bridgestone balls are the cheapest and, in my opinion, the most durable. However, the Pro V1x and TP5X are the best-performing golf balls on the market and almost the same ball for just $2 apart per dozen. Therefore, any one of these golf balls is a great low-spinning, distance ball for high-swing speed players.
The Titleist Pro V1x golf ball is perfect for golfers with high swing speeds looking to decrease spin off the tee to hit the ball further. This ball is great for optimizing spin numbers without sacrificing a soft feel and greenside spin.