Expert Review: Cobra King Forged Tec Copper Iron Set KBS Steel ShaftsPublished on 03/13/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the iron set, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
All photos courtesy of Grant Ellison
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the iron set, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
These Cobra King Forged Tec Copper Iron Set KBS Steel Shafts are an amazing set of irons. They are perfect for any mid to low-handicap golfer ready to jump over to a player's iron.
About the club I own
- Model: 2021 Cobra King Forged Tec Copper Irons
- Loft setting: Standard
- Shaft type: Steel
- Shaft flex: Stiff
- Average score: 77
- Handicap: 5
- Experience: 15 years playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Typical ball flight: Draw and fade
- Golf ball used: Pro V1
- Club swing speed: Above average
- When I bought the club: February 2023
- Days tested: 30
- Where I’ve used it: Range and on course
- Weather and wind conditions: Normal weather. Some sunny days, some cloudy days. Some windy days, some calm days.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a player's iron that gave me the look and workability I wanted but still offered some forgiveness.
Why I chose this club
I chose the Cobra King Forged Tec Copper Irons because they were everything I was looking for. They are players’ irons that look great and perform just as great. I had already bought some Mizuno Hot Metal Pro irons recently, but after testing these, I knew I had to get them and would be selling the Mizunos.
What I love about it
- Distance: These clubs are long. I’ve gained a club of distance using these irons. Their hollow design infused with foam microspheres creates this added distance.
- Forgiveness: These offer quite a bit of forgiveness for players’ irons. I’ve noticed my dispersion has been much tighter than with my old irons. And I'm still getting good distance out of shots that don’t hit the sweet spot.
- Feel: These have a nice soft feel, which is what I wanted. The soft feel makes me feel like I have more control of the golf ball.
- Sound: The sound isn’t super noticeable because of the soft feel. So I haven’t noticed it much. However, It's a soft, high-pitched sound when hit.
- Workability: I can move the ball left and right with ease. One can’t sling hooks or slices quite as well as true forged blades because of the hollow design, but considering the forgiveness and distance these clubs offer, the workability is still great.
- Aesthetic Appeal: I love the look of these clubs. The copper finish makes them stand out from other irons, and they look clean overall. I’m a big fan.
- Grip Feel: These irons came stock with the Lamkin crossline connect grips. They look and feel great. I really enjoy them. They also come with the Arcos connect sensors so that I can track my shots with these clubs.
- Launch Angle: These clubs have a powerful high launch, especially for a player's iron. I used to struggle to get the ball in the air with my longer irons (6, 5, 4). With these irons, though, I have no problems at all.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Adjustability: These clubs do not have any adjustability. I wouldn't say this is an issue, though, since I don’t know of any adjustable irons.
Best shot with this club
The best shot I’ve hit with these irons was on a par 3 at my local golf course. It's a hole that I really don’t like. There is water to the right and a 6 feet deep bunker to the left, so there is little room for error. I stepped up to the tee with a 7 iron, put it right on the middle of the green, and made birdie.
Value for the money vs. other options
These clubs are a solid value. They are often compared to the TaylorMade P790 irons because they are a similar type of iron. I like the feel and performance of the Cobra King Forged Tec Irons better, and they are $300-$400 cheaper than the P790s.
If someone wants irons that offer forgiveness and distance but do not want to give up any feel or workability, I definitely recommend the Cobra King Forged Tec Copper Iron Set.