Expert Review: Diono Radian® 3RXT Latch All-in-One Convertible Car SeatPublished on 03/26/2023 · 3 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the car seat, which I purchased with my own money and have used for two years.
Photo courtesy of Kathleen Sarb
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the car seat, which I purchased with my own money and have used for two years.
I absolutely love my Diono Radian® 3RXT Latch All-in-One Convertible Car Seat. I decided to skip the infant car seat and use this for my son from birth on instead, after loving the Diono 3R for my older daughter.
About the car seat I own
- Model: 2021 Diono Radian 3RXT
- Configuration: Rear-facing, about to transition to forward-facing
- Intended age group: Infants–school age
- When I used the product: 2021–current time
- Child’s age range: 0–2.5 years
- Lifestyle: Suburban and rural
- Frequency of Use: Daily use
- Vehicle: 2019 Ford Escape, 2020 Chrysler Voyager
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a durable and safe car seat that could be used long-term. I was also specifically looking for a device that could fit multiple car seats in my 2019 Ford Escape.
Why I chose this car seat
I chose the Diono Radian 3RXT car seat because I loved the Diono 3R for my older daughter and the children whom I nanny for. In addition, I chose this specific model because I could use it with my son when he came home from the hospital and still fit three seats across in my 2019 Ford Escape. I never really considered other options because I fell in love with my previous Diono.
What I love about it
- Installation: The installation is very easy and straightforward with the rear-facing wedge. The installation methods are pretty universal with Diono, so I didn’t even have to look at a manual after installing my previous Diono seats. Diono offers rigid latch or seatbelt installation with rear anchors for forward and rear facing. Everything tightens easily and loosens with a button when it’s time to uninstall.
- Ease of use: Once installed, tightening and adjusting the straps as one’s child grows is easy. This model also has an easy-to-adjust headrest.
- Design: The design is sleek and simple. The Diono Radian 3RXT has extra padding and an infant insert, which are great for keeping smaller babies snug and comfortable.
- Quality & Durability: I chose to purchase a Diono product again because of how durable previous purchases have been over many years. The 3RXT is extremely durable and grows wonderfully with one’s child until around the age of 5 at least.
- Versatility: This convertible car seat is versatile because I can use it from birth on. I have the ability to take out the infant insert, adjust the straps and headrest, and even convert to a seatbelt booster. Realistically, someone could use this seat until their child grows out of “booster age” at around 150 pounds. I plan to use it through the age of ten at least.
- Ease of Cleaning: The fabric seat cover and strap covers are machine washable, but the fabric is so smooth and wipeable that I rarely have to take it off to wash it.
- Aesthetics: I love how clean and simple the design is. It has a sleek, modern look to it.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Weight: The only “issue” I have encountered is the weight of the seat itself. It is very deceiving because it looks so slim and lightweight. This steel-reinforced convertible car seat is relatively heavy. Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend it if one is moving it between cars daily.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Diono Radian 3RXT is definitely worth the money. It is a really durable option that grows with one’s child from birth through school age. It is truly the only car seat someone will ever need. Some other all-in-one options are similarly priced, such as the Graco 4Ever, but wear down over time due to the plastic parts or low-quality fabric.
The Diono Radian 3RXT is the perfect option for growing children and families. It is safe, easy to install, and narrow enough to make room for more car seats.