Expert Review: Burton Men's Cargo PantsPublished on 04/05/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the snowboard pants, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2022.
Wearing the Burton Cargo Pants at Brighton Mountain in Utah. All photos courtesy of Austin Schimmel
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the snowboard pants, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2022.
The Burton Men's Cargo Pants are perfect for intermediate to advanced snowboarders who want a comfortable and durable pant for their adventures on the mountain. Overall, they are an essential part of my snowboarding gear and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a high-performance and enjoyable option.
About the pants I own
- Brand: Burton
- Model: Mens Cargo Pants
- Size Fit: Runs large
- Height: 5’6”
- Weight: 130 lbs
- Pant size: XS
- Experience: 10 years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: December 2022
- Days used: 30
- Where I’ve used them: Colorado, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Canada
- Weather conditions used in: Cold and snowy, bluebird sunny days, spring and warm
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for a comfortable and durable pant that would keep me warm and dry in any weather condition. I was hoping these would be an effective, budget-friendly option for that.
Why I chose this gear
I chose the Burton Cargo pants because I trust the Burton brand and have had positive experiences with their gear in the past. I also appreciate the cargo pockets for extra storage on the mountain. I considered other options, such as the North Face Freedom Pants and the Volcom Ventral Pants, but ultimately went with Burton for its reputation and features.
What I love about them
- Fit: The Burton Cargo Pants have been a game-changer for me when it comes to fit. As someone who is short with a medium build, finding pants that fit well can be a challenge. These pants, however, fit my body type perfectly, allowing me to move comfortably on the mountain without any restrictions.
- Comfort: When I'm on the mountain, I want to focus on my riding and not be distracted by uncomfortable clothing. The Burton Cargo Pants are incredibly comfortable, allowing me to fully enjoy my day on the slopes. They are made with soft materials that don't rub or chafe, and the waistband is adjustable for a custom fit.
- Waterproofing: I've been caught in some serious rain and snowstorms while wearing these pants, but the waterproofing is top-notch and has kept me dry in even the wettest of conditions. I vividly remember taking a spill in slushy spring snow, but my pants remained dry and kept me warm throughout the rest of the day.
- Breathability: One of the things I love about the Burton Cargo Pants is their breathability. The lightweight material and zippered openings allow for an adjustable amount of airflow, making them great for warmer spring days. Being able to regulate my body temperature is essential for a comfortable and enjoyable day of riding.
- Durability: These pants are built to last. I've worn them on multiple days on the mountain and they've held up exceptionally well to the wear and tear. The reinforced stitching and high-quality materials ensure that they'll continue to perform season after season.
- Weight: The Burton Cargo Pants are incredibly lightweight, which is a huge plus when I’m spending the day on the mountain. They don't weigh me down or feel bulky, allowing me to move freely and easily.
- Ease of Movement: Speaking of movement, the Burton Cargo Pants allow for plenty of it. Snowboarding requires a lot of dynamic movement and these pants don't restrict me in any way. I can easily bend, twist, and turn without feeling constricted.
- Quality: The high-quality GORE-TEX material used to make these pants is a major reason why they are so durable and performance-based. I feel confident knowing that I have a pair of pants that are going to last me for many seasons to come.
- Special Features: The cargo pockets and vents are fantastic special features that make these pants stand out even more. The cargo pockets are perfect for storing snacks, my phone, and other essentials, while the vents help regulate my body temperature on warmer days.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Warmth: The material used is lightweight and durable, but doesn’t hold in warmth as well as some heavier pants might may in colder conditions. Therefore, when temperatures are well below freezing, I tend to layer underneath.
Favorite moment with this gear
I love wearing these pants on powder days. The waterproofing and quality keep me dry and comfortable while snowboarding through deep snow. I wore these pants on a snowy day in Canada and was able to stay nice and dry all day long. It was great to not have to worry about my gear while enjoying the fresh powder.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Burton Cargo Pants are priced similarly to other high-end snowboarding pants on the market, such as the North Face Freedom Pants and the Volcom Ventral Pants. In my opinion, the Burton Cargos are worth the investment due to their comfort, durability, and waterproofing capabilities—making them a more suitable option than the others listed.
Overall, the Mens Burton Cargo pants are a great investment for any intermediate to advanced snowboarder looking for a comfortable and durable pant to take around the entire mountain.