Expert Review: Wilson 2022 Staff Model Golf BallsPublished on 04/22/2023 · 3 min read This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
Up Close and personal, dimple structure, alignment aid. Performance first! All photos courtesy of Michael V.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the golf balls, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
Wilson’s Staff Model Golf Balls are designed for advanced golfers that are extremely picky about golf ball feel and performance, offering exceptional durability that no golfer should overlook.
About the golf ball I own
- Model: 2022 Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls
- Color: White
- Average score: 74
- Handicap: 1.2
- Experience: A decade.
- Right/Left-handed: Right-Handed
- Typical shot shape: Fade
- Typical trajectory: Low
- Club swing speed: 112-116mph
- When I bought this: February 2023
- Days tested: Two months on the course.
- Where I’ve used it: Tested in Arizona and Michigan at private and public courses.
- Weather and wind conditions: Tested in the wind, rain, sun, and even snow.
- Turf conditions: Firm
- Green speeds: Fast
How it performs
What I was looking for
I have been in search of the perfect golf ball. I prefer a firmer feel, low spin, and muted sound.
Why I chose this golf ball
I decided to buy the Wilson Staff Model Golf Ball because I have been testing golf performance golf balls to find my perfect match. I considered plenty of other options. The last two golf balls played were the Bridgestone Tour B X and the Mizuno RB Tour X. I really enjoy the Wilsons' feel, performance, and durability and will buy more moving forward.
What I love about it
- Distance: Exceptional distance, as far as any golf ball I have used/tested previously. It reaches the perfect Apex and gets minimal spin on longer shots for more roll out.
- Feel: Fantastic feel—much firmer golf ball than I was expecting. Enjoy the feel off of the clubface on every single club in the bag.
- Durability: Most durable golf ball I have played with, making it a top choice to use since I do not lose golf balls often. With other brands, I often find myself getting rid of golf balls with scuff marks.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Green Spin: It can be tough to control side spin on shorter approach shots. Not ideal for someone like myself wanting to shape shots from shorter distances without generating too much spin.
Best shot with this golf ball
I have had too many quality shots with these golf balls to keep track of. However, one that sticks out is a 250-yard uphill 4 iron into the green. I lipped out for the eagle but played great all day. Every shot is enjoyable with the Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls.
Value for the money vs. other options
Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls offer exceptional value for their cost. It’s a premium golf ball, priced next to other roughly $49.99 a dozen options. These are ultra-durable. If someone does not lose golf balls, they will last them.
Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls were the surprise of the year for me. I cannot wait for Wilson’s new products moving forward. I would love to play Wilson’s golf balls long term.