Expert Review: Smith Range GogglesPublished on 05/05/2023 · 4 min read This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
Photos courtesy of Matt Johnson
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in November of 2022.
The Smith Range Goggles are a perfect “one size fits all” when it comes to entry-level goggles. They work seamlessly with my Smith helmet to prevent fogging, and the build quality is amazing at the price.
About the goggles I own
- Model: 2022 Smith Range Goggles
- Size: Large frame
- Does it feature lens replacement?: No
- Fit: True to size
- Helmet: 2022 Smith Holt
- Wear glasses with goggles: No
- Experience: 5 years of snowboarding
- When I bought them: November 2022
- Days used: 20
- Lenses I own: Solar-X Green
- Weather conditions used in: Sunny days, cloudy days, and whiteout conditions
- Where I’ve used them: Snowbowl, AZ; Whistler, BC; Park City, UT; Heavenly, CA
- Terrain: Resort
How they perform
What I was looking for
I needed a new pair of goggles to replace the pair I bought from Amazon that did not perform very well (they would constantly get fogged up). I wanted a new pair of goggles that wouldn’t fog up.
Why I chose this gear
I decided on these goggles because I own other gear from Smith that has performed above and beyond my expectations in the past. They are at a great price point for their level of performance and build quality. I considered buying another pair of goggles from Amazon from smaller brands that are most likely just dropshipping, but decided against it, as I didn’t want to run into the same fogging issue again. The previous pair of goggles I used were from Zionor. Compared to those, these Smith Range goggles are miles ahead in terms of build quality and performance.
What I love about them
- Fit: I usually wear my goggles over my helmet, and these fit perfectly with no issues.
- Comfort: Thanks to the extremely comfortable foam these Smith goggles use on the border of the lenses, they are easy to wear all day long.
- Ventilation: I wouldn’t go as far as to say that these are “fog-proof,” as they do get a little fog build up when I’m working up a big sweat; however, these goggles haven't fogged up on me to the point that I can’t see anymore. The vents line up perfectly with my Smith Holt helmet.
- Visibility: Due to the large lens build of these goggles, the field of view is very wide, and I am able to see pretty much everything in my peripheral with no issues. The lenses one chooses will determine how much one can see based on light conditions. I personally own the Solar-X Green lenses, and they work very well in most lighting conditions.
- Face frame: The strap is adjustable and should fit pretty much everyone. Though for those with a smaller face, these may be a bit large though.
- Strap: The strap is constructed of a quality elastic that grips my helmet very well and does not slip around.
- Helmet compatibility: I own the Smith Holt helmet, and these goggles line up with the ventilation slits on the helmet perfectly, which further helps prevent fogging.
- Features: These goggles have anti-fog tech, which works pretty well, I haven’t had any extreme fogging issues with these goggles.
- Durability: After a season of falls and spills, these goggles still look brand new.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Lens replacement: Unfortunately, these goggles do not offer replaceable lenses, which may be a deal breaker for some.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite memory with these goggles was during my trip to Whistler, British Columbia. The weather conditions throughout the trip were variable, to say the least, and these goggles performed awesome under everything that mother nature tried throwing at me.
Value for the money vs. other options
I believe that pretty much any product made by Smith is worth the money. In my experience, the brand really does deliver high-performing products built with quality materials. Another pair of goggles from Smith that one may consider is the Squad Goggles, which are about the same price, and feature removable lenses; however, the frames are slightly smaller.
I am extremely happy with my purchase of the Smith Range goggles. They fit seamlessly with my Smith Holt helmet, feel comfortable even after long days on the slopes, and haven’t fogged up on me yet.