Expert Review: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 PutterPublished on 05/05/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for two days in April of 2023.
All photos courtesy of David L. Brown
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for two days in April of 2023.
The Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 is the best putter on the market. The balance, feel, and weight distribution are top-of-the-line. If someone is looking to make an upgrade to their putter and has the budget to do so, this is a must.
About the club I tested
- Model: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Single bend
- Balance Point: 12in
- Shaft Length: 35in
- Grip Type: Regular
- Finish: Silver
- Average Score: 79
- Handicap: 7
- Experience: 22 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Left-Handed
- Stroke Type: Straight back and through, traditional grip
- Golf Ball Used: Callaway ERC Triple Track
- Height: 5’9’’
- When I tested the putter: Demoed on two different occasions
- Days tested: 2
- Where I’ve used it: Indoor practice green
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Indoor
- Green Speed: Slow to Medium
- Grass Type: Turf
How it performs
What I was looking for
I prefer mallet putters over any other type of putter, so I wanted to give the Phantom 5.5 a try because it is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Secondly, I am a feel putter and wanted something with a soft face that would allow me to feel the putt through contact more consistently.
Why I chose to test this club
This putter is top of the line from its appearance down to its performance. The soft feel in the face, paired with its balance, allows the ball to roll pure off the face with consistency. I did not personally buy this putter but have made it a bucket list item when the time is right because it is the top-rated putter I have tested within the last 12 months.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: The mid-milled face really allowed me to feel the club striking the ball, which helped with distance control and keeping the ball on line.
- Forgiveness: It’s very forgiving. Even when the putt isn’t stuck perfectly, it still rolls pure as the face instantly sends feedback to the hands to give direction on how it was hit.
- Weight: The 370g weight is perfectly suited for keeping the club down and through each putt. It feels effortless to swing the putter back and through, and it has incredible balance throughout the entire swing.
- Alignment: Sharp alignment with the all-silver feature and the single black line ensure proper setup and alignment of each putt. I also enjoy the wing features as they are spaced out exactly a golf ball-sized apart to center the ball within the clubhead.
- Length: The 35” putter was ideal for my free arm hanging, straight back and straight through the swing. This creates consistency over and over on both shorter and longer putts.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Amazing. Pulling this out of the bag is a nice feeling. The steel shaft down to the all-silver mallet head really makes the putter stand out. I also love the wing design with the sharp line features that give it a simple, distinct look.
- Grip Feel: This grip almost felt customized to my hands. Its slender build allows my hands to be used and felt throughout contact to keep a consistent feel, especially on longer lag putts.
- Balance: This putter’s MOI (Moment of Inertia) is perfect. It creates an even backswing and follow-through on each putter, which is a key reason in its overall consistency.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Customization: The only negative about this putter is the price. It is well worth it for the serious golfer, but the average handicapper will find it hard to justify spending over $400 on a putter.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
I demoed this putter on two different occasions to gain a feel for how it would perform. Consistency was the name of the game. I couldn’t miss from inside 10 feet. I made 13 putts in a row from 10 feet and in, and I can’t remember my current putter pulling those numbers.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 runs at around $429. If someone is looking for a higher-end mallet putter, I recommend this putter. I think there are other cheaper options out there that will perform well (Mizuno M.Craft VI and TaylorMade Spider EX #3), but the quality and consistency of this putter cannot be denied.
Overall, the Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 putter unlocks a feel and consistency that no other putter can match. It’s forgiving and has an incredibly soft face feel to dial in longer putts and easily make shorter putts.