Expert Review: Cobra Aerojet DriverPublished on 05/12/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the driver, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
All photos courtesy of Dave Anderson
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the driver, which I purchased with my own money in February of 2023.
The Cobra Aerojet is a driver made for those seeking high launch and straight flight. However, I believe it works well for players of all skill levels.
About the club I own
- Model: Cobra Aerojet
- Loft setting: 12°
- Shaft type: Ventus Red TR
- Shaft flex: 6-S
- Average score: 75
- Handicap: 1.7
- Experience: 20 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Typical ball flight: Low to Mid Launch
- Golf ball used: Vice Pro Plus
- Club swing speed: 95mph
- When I bought the club: February 15, 2023
- Days tested: 20 rounds
- Where I’ve used it: Range, course, and simulator
- Weather and wind conditions: I’ve played in perfect, cold, and windy conditions with this driver.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I have historically struggled with low launch angles on my tee shots. I also tend to have a consistent fade with an occasional slice. I was looking for a driver that would provide a better launch and straighter ball flight.
Why I chose this club
I was fit for this club. The launch angle was the primary reason for choosing the Cobra Aerojet driver. I considered Titleist TSr2, Callaway Paradygm, and Ping G430. But the Cobra Aerojet outperformed all the other options on the simulator.
What I love about it
- Distance: I see my tee shots go 5-10 yards further with this driver, primarily due to higher launch angles. The 12° loft of this club helps tremendously.
- Forgiveness: My tee shots are almost always straight. I can work in a slight draw when I want to, but my consistent fade has disappeared. The shaping of the head makes it more aerodynamic and streamlined. The hitting surface is still large and definitely helps with forgiveness.
- Feel: I love the solid feel of this driver. It’s firm enough to give me decent feedback on mishits but not too harsh.
- Sound: The sound is very rewarding. It’s just a nice “thud,” not too high-pitched or too loud.
- Launch Angle: As noted above, the launch angle was the primary motivation for getting this driver. The 12° loft has consistently provided mid to high launch angles for someone who historically had a very low launch.
- Spin: I am seeing ideal spin numbers on simulators, which translates to what I also see on the course. The Pwr-Bridge weighting behind the face helps to increase ball speed and lower spin.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Workability: I can work in a slight draw, but some may find this not workable enough.
- Adjustability: This driver can adjust at the hosel but does not provide weight adjustability found in other manufacturers.
- Shaft Feel: I do not have any experience with the stock shafts because I was custom fit for a shaft upgrade.
- Shaft Performance: See “Shaft Feel” above.
- Aesthetic Appeal: I love the driver's blue color, but some may prefer a more neutral color.
- Grip Feel: I do not have any experience with the stock grip. I re-gripped this club to match the rest of my set, which uses Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips.
Best shot with this club
Where I live in Amarillo, TX, it is consistently pretty windy—10-15 mph sustained winds are very typical. The 13th hole on the course I usually play, Ross Roger's Mustang, is a strong dogleg left and plays into the predominant wind. My first drive with the Aerojet on this hole was a penetrating draw and went further than all of my playing partners. I certainly made some swing and stance adjustments to help with that ball flight, but the Aerojet performed exceptionally well in that instance. I got a lot of accolades from my guys. It was awesome!
Value for the money vs. other options
The Cobra Aerojet vastly outperformed the Titleist TSr2, Callaway Paradygm, and Ping G430 in my fitting but was also significantly less expensive than any of the other options. This is a tremendous value.
Simply put, the Cobra Aerojet is a fairway finder. It has performed so well for me that I do not give my tee shots much thought at all. It just works.