Expert Review: Cobra King Vintage CudaPublished on 05/27/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for one day in May of 2023.
All photos courtesy of David L. Brown
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I tested for one day in May of 2023.
The Cobra King Vintage Cuda is a sharp putter. It has everything someone would want if looking to make an upgrade at putter. It has a tremendously soft face that allows each putt to be felt up to the hands. It also has great aesthetics with the all-black head and lime green lettering. I believe the mid to low handicap golfer will see the greatest benefits to their game because of the balance and face feel.
About the club I tested
- Model: 2022 Cobra King Vintage Cuda
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Single Bend
- Balance Point: 12”
- Shaft Length: 35”
- Grip Type: Oversized Super Stroke
- Finish: Matte Black
- Average Score: 79
- Handicap: 7
- Experience: 23 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Straight back and through
- Golf Ball Used: Callaway ERC Triple Track
- Height: 5’10’’
- When I tested the putter: May 2023
- Days tested: 1
- Where I’ve used it: Turf
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Indoor
- Green Speed: Slow to medium
- Grass Type: Turf
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a putter that increased my confidence. I have been looking to upgrade my putter as I no longer feel 100% confident standing over 7-10 foot putts. I wanted to find a mallet putter that offered the feeling and confidence I had lacked.
Why I chose to test this club
The weight, balance, and face insert created a soft dampening felt all the way up through the hands. I did not purchase this putter as the timing wasn’t right, but this putter has a tremendous feel and consistency.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: Cobra’s SIK face technology is second to none, creating a dampening feel within the putter head up to the hands. The ball routinely clicks off the putter face and instantly gives feedback on how it rolls off the face.
- Forgiveness: The consistency and ease this putter offers makes it stand out. The SIK face technology allows the ball to roll true right away off the face, creating consistent speed control.
- Weight: The putter head weights are huge as the base comes with two 10g weights in the head, but the head weights can be adjusted up to or down to a 30g difference, allowing each golfer to dial in their preferred weight.
- Length: I tried the stock 35” model, which I enjoyed as it allowed my arms to hang freely and created a smooth, consistent stroke.
- Aesthetic Appeal: I love the simple matte black look with the lime green accent lettering on the bottom of the putter. I also love the white and black SuperStroke grip that comes with it. That makes the entire look stand out.
- Grip Feel: The grip is an oversized SuperStroke grip that is incredibly soft and tacky. It allows whatever grip to feel comfortable and performs highly in all types of weather.
- Customization: The big piece to this goes back to the weight and being able to adjust the putter weights from heel to toe and find that ideal weight for each swing pattern.
- Balance: This putter's smooth stroke and consistency can be attributed to the putter's MOI (Moment of Inertia) and allowing a repeatable stroke.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Alignment: I do not like the three lines going back on the putter head. I have always enjoyed the one singular line going back so that it simplifies the visual of the single line on the ball. I think if the upper and lower lines were removed, it would increase the overall visual of this putter.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
I was making everything within 10 feet. The thing I was looking to correct and find confidence in is what I was looking for. I think this putter has the feel and balance that will help hole a lot of those important putts.
Value for the money vs. other options
The value of around $249 makes the Cobra King Vintage Cuda makes it a great purchase. I believe it has the softness and feel that the Mizuno M.Craft series has to offer (~$299). However, the best overall value might have to be given to the Cleveland series of putters at approximately $149 (HB Soft, Frontline, Huntington Beach) because of their incredibly soft face and heavier-weighted putters for half the cost.
This putter is a gearhead junkie's dream. It has everything one could want and has the visual appeal to back it up. I highly recommend this putter for the mid to low-handicap golfer looking to take their game more seriously.