Warm, Dry, & Comfortable: The 5 Best Snowboard SocksPublished on 06/02/2023 · 7 min readKeep your feet comfortable on the mountain all day by ensuring you have a good pair of socks! Snowboarding Expert Will Koons lists the 5 best snowboard socks!
Photo by Monstar Studio
Picture this: You've got your skis, snowboard, and gear ready for an exciting day on the slopes. But wait! Have you thought about your socks? It might seem trivial, but the right pair of socks can significantly enhance your comfort and performance in the snow. Having cold feet on a powder day can ruin your time on the slopes.
Ski socks have evolved beyond basic foot coverings. Today's socks are highly specialized, designed for optimal fit, breathability, and moisture management. Choosing the right socks can be as crucial as finding the right ski or snowboard.
This article will discuss choosing a solid snowboard sock and provide some of our top recommendations. After this article, you will be prepared to pick your socks or pick from a custom list of recommendations from the Experts at Curated.
What to Consider When Purchasing Snowboard Socks
Snowboard Sock Fabric: Wool vs. Synthetic
Two main players in snowboard socks are Merino wool and synthetic blends. Merino wool is known for its warmth and moisture-wicking properties. It's naturally odor-resistant and stays warm even when damp. Synthetic blends, meanwhile, offer many of the same advantages. They are especially popular with those who find wool to be irritating to their skin.
And what about cotton? Let's just say cotton and skiing are not a good match. Cotton doesn't wick moisture, leaving your feet cold and damp, which could lead to blisters.
Snowboard Sock Thickness and Cushioning: A Delicate Balance
Contrary to what you might think, thicker socks don't necessarily mean warmer feet. In fact, socks that are too thick can restrict circulation, which is counterproductive for warmth. But thanks to advances in fabric technology, thinner socks can offer the same level of warmth without compromising comfort or fit.
When it comes to cushioning, it's all about personal preference. Some skiers and snowboarders prefer minimal cushioning, while others prefer more padding. Just bear in mind that too much cushioning can make your boots feel overly tight.
Snowboard Sock Fit and Length: Getting It Right
Ski socks should fit snugly but not too tightly. They should be long enough to protect your shins from the boot but not so long that they're uncomfortable.
Snowboard Sock Care: A Little Effort Goes a Long Way
After a day on the slopes, your ski socks deserve proper care. Wash them gently, let them dry naturally, and store them flat to keep their shape. And here's a pro tip: consider storing them with a cedar block to ward off moths.
Next time you're preparing for a day of skiing or snowboarding, don't overlook the importance of choosing the right socks. They might be the key to a more comfortable and enjoyable slope experience.
The 5 Most Recommended Snowboard Socks
At Curated, we pride ourselves on being some of the best gear experts in the winter sports industry. We’ve assessed everything on the market; these are our top recommendations.
With a breathable blend of midweight Merino wool, the Burton Performance Midweight Socks are designed to provide men riders with all-day warmth while keeping their feet comfortably dry. The medium-density cushioning throughout the sock helps absorb impacts, and strategically placed padded channels are designed to reduce pressure on the feet when boots are snuggly tied. Additionally, these moisture-wicking socks feature flat stitched toe seams to eliminate chafing and bunching inside snowboard boots.
- Merino Wool Blend: This comfortable and breathable blend of Merino wool dries quickly to wick away sweat and keep feet warm and dry.
- Sock Lock Reinforcements: Strategically placed Sock Lock reinforcements keep socks from slipping to prevent chafing and increase comfort.
- DryRide Toe Panels: These ventilated toe panels increase breathability to keep feet comfortable and dry.
The Smartwool Snowboard Full Cushion VANS Classic Checker Over-the-Calf (OTC) Socks are the perfect addition to your snowboarding gear. If you are a Vans fan, this colab is for you. These socks feature Smartwools Indestructawool technology and a performance fit ensuring they fit well and are durable enough to handle a heavy riding season.
- VANS Designs by Smartwool: These socks feature unique designs created by VANS in collaboration with Smartwool.
- Indestructawool Technology: The socks are built to last with enhanced durability thanks to Indestructawool technology.
- 4 Degree Elite Fit System: The socks have a dialed-in, performance-oriented fit thanks to the 4 Degree Elite fit system.
- Body-Mapped Mesh Zones: Added breathability is provided through body-mapped mesh zones that keep your feet cool and dry.
- Wider Welt for Secure Fit and Comfort: A wider welt ensures a secure fit that stays comfortable all day long. The over-the-calf height and full cushioning provide maximum comfort on the slopes.
- Materials: The socks consist of 70% Merino wool, 10% nylon, 19% recycled nylon, and 1% elastane.
The Smartwool Women's Snowboard Targeted Cushion OTC Socks are perfect for your winter sports gear. These Smartwool socks provide targeted cushioning with a women-specific fit. In addition, the mesh zones provide innovative breathability to keep your foot from sweating in your boot, making these a perfect sock for any woman needing a high-quality snowboard sock.
- Indestructawool Technology: Ensures enhanced durability for long-lasting wear.
- 4 Degree Elite Fit System: Offers a dialed-in, performance-oriented fit that stays in place during high-intensity activities.
- Body-Mapped Mesh Zones: Provides added breathability to keep your feet cool and dry.
- Wider Welt for Secure Fit and Comfort: The wider welt ensures a secure fit and maximum comfort throughout the day.
- Virtually Seamless Toe: Eliminates discomfort caused by bulky seams for an enhanced wearing experience.
- Targeted Cushioning: Provides comfort and support where you need it most.
- Materials: Made with a blend of 64% Merino wool, 11% nylon, 23% recycled nylon, and 2% elastane, these socks are not only comfortable but also durable.
The Icebreaker Men's Ski+ Ultralight OTC Ski Sock is a thin, supportive sock with no additional padding. The left and right specific toe boxes minimize extra material and bunching. Achilles and instep support help hold the sock in place and provide a snug fit. Icebreaker’s Ultralight OTC Ski Sock is great for backcountry skiers and anyone who likes a technical fit with no additional padding.
- Materials: It consists of 51% Merino Wool, which is highly breathable, quick-drying, and naturally antimicrobial. In addition, 44% Nylon and 5% LYCRA add some durability and stretch.
- Machine Washable: Wash with similar colors, no bleach or fabric softener, and tumble dry inside out on low.
- Seamless Toe: The seamless toe eliminates extra material that can cause blisters and discomfort.
- Lifetime Guarantee Icebreaker Socks: Carry a lifetime guarantee. Wear them out, and Icebreaker will replace them with no questions asked.
Darn Tough's Mountaineering OTC Extra Cushion Large Midnight Sock is designed for those who need an extra warm sock to keep up with any adventure on the mountain. The OTC design is sure to keep feet warm, adding extra cold protection and comfort to the lower parts of the legs.
- Performance Fit: This design eliminates bunching, slipping, and hot spots during movement for ultimate comfort, regardless of activity.
- Wicking: Constructed from Merino wool which is naturally moisture wicking, pulling moisture away from the skin for superior comfort, and is also naturally quick-drying.
- Guaranteed for Life: Backed by the notorious warranty from Darn Tough—a llifetime warranty that guarantees satisfaction with the product.
There you have it, our top recommendations and knowledge on choosing the best sock. The little things count when it comes to making your time on the slopes as enjoyable as possible. The right pair of socks can make all the difference between a good day and a great day out in the snow. And we're not just talking about socks. Our expertise extends to all aspects of your ski and snowboard gear.
Remember, there's no such thing as a silly question regarding your comfort and performance on the slopes. If you need assistance finding the right socks, the Snowboarding Experts at Curated are always ready to help you find the best gear for your needs.