Expert Review: Edel Golf EAS 4 PutterPublished on 07/14/2023 · 6 min read This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2023.
All photos courtesy of Evan Mendyk
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2023.
The Edel EAS 4.0 is a great mallet-style putter for all players looking to improve their putting. I found this putter very easy to aim because of the shape and alignment aids. The balanced weight of this putter greatly improved my speed control and has helped me to make more putts. This putter suits players with a slight arc or a straight back and through stroke because this putter is face balanced.
About the club I own
- Model: 2023 Edel EAS 4.0
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: Single Bend
- Balance Point: Face Balanced
- Shaft Length: 34”
- Grip Type: Edel Large Round Grip
- Finish: Satin
- Average Score: 72.2
- Handicap: +2.3
- Experience: 15 years of playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Slight Arc
- Golf Ball Used: Titleist Pro V1
- Height: 5’10”
- When I bought the putter: May 2023
- Days tested: 60
- Where I’ve used it: On and around course greens and practice greens
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Mainly warm and humid conditions with various wind speeds
- Green Speed: 9-13
- Grass Type: Bermuda, bent
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a new putter because I disliked how my previous putter looked at address. I found it hard to trust my line, and my speed control and alignment suffered because of this. I wanted a putter that I could confidently align and trust my line.
Why I chose this club
I decided to buy the Edel EAS 4.0 because I liked the way it looked behind the ball, and the speed control put me over the edge. I liked the stable feel of this putter compared to other options, and I decided that speed control was the most important aspect of a putter to me. I also tested the Edel EAS 5.0, which I really liked, and I felt that I could align that putter better than the Edel EAS 4.0, but my speed was not as consistent.
What I love about it
- Forgiveness: This putter has great forgiveness, one of the features that sold me on this putter. I have gained consistency in my speed because of the forgiveness of this putter. The mallet shape of this putter and sole weights contribute to the putter's stability on mishits, providing more consistent misses and results.
- Weight: This putter's custom weight options are great for players looking to dial in a specific feel to their game. I have some added weight in the grip, allowing me to feel the face the way I want.
- Alignment: The alignment of this putter is great for several reasons. This putter's shape sits squarely on the ground, giving players feedback when something is slightly off. The custom alignment options also give me a variety of combinations to find my best fit.
- Length: The 34” length is perfect for me and is a length that I have been comfortable with other putters as well. This length allows my eyes to sit directly over the ball, which helps the consistency of my stroke and alignment.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The Edel EAS 4.0 is a great-looking putter and is definitely a head-turner. I have had many people ask me about my putter ever since I started using the Edel EAS 4.0, and I think this is for a great reason. Edel has made a winner with this putter that looks and performs with the best.
- Grip Feel: The grip on this putter is exceptional. I chose to go with one of the stock Edel grips: the large round grip. This grip helps me align my palms, which is very important for my set-up and stroke. However, I have used a round grip in the past, although not one as large as the one on the Edel EAS 4.0, so this took some adjusting to see how my hands best utilized the benefits of the round grip.
- Customization: Edel knocks it out of the park with custom options compared to their competitors. With my putter, I got to pick my best fit for the lie angle, hosel neck, alignment plate, weighting system, grip, and length. I think all these options give me the confidence that I got a putter that is truly built for me.
- Balance: The Edel EAS 4.0 is the most balanced-feeling putter I have ever used. When I got fit for this putter, the Edel expert changed the weight in the head and added weight in the grip under my hands to obtain my desired feel. This putter feels like it is built specifically for my stroke and tempo which makes the putter feel very balanced.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Face Feel: The feel off of the face is different than I am used to in the past, which took some adjusting. However, the feel off of the face is firm but solid. The face milling allows the ball to roll properly but does not provide a soft feel like other putters. This face gives great feedback on off-center strikes, as I can feel the strike in my hands. The weight in this putter is more evenly distributed than I am used to, so it takes some of the feeling away from the head of the putter and redirects it to the hands.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
The first round I played with the Edel EAS 4.0 was one to remember. I shot my career-low round of 63 on my home course without making a bogey or missing inside of 10ft. I felt so confident with this putter in my hands and felt as if everything I looked at would go in the hole.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Edel EAS 4.0 is a very expensive putter, but I think it is worth the price because of its value compared to other options. I have an Odyssey #7, which I used for a while and is a similar shape to the Edel EAS 4.0. The Odyssey #7 has a much softer feel off the face, and I found it hard to tell where I struck each putt. The Edel EAS 4.0 also provides better alignment options, and the customization options give this putter an edge over any competitor, no matter the price.
The Edel EAS 4.0 is great for all players looking to improve their putting. The custom experience where someone can decide what works for them in every aspect of this putter will give them the confidence to make more putts.