Expert Review: Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black WedgePublished on 08/09/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the club, which I purchased with my own money in August of 2022.
Kiawah Island Ocean Course 16th hole. All photos courtesy of Max Cassella
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the club, which I purchased with my own money in August of 2022.
After testing the Titleist Vokey SM9 wedge, I can confidently say it's one of the best wedges I've used. It offers exceptional performance in terms of feel, spin, and forgiveness and is worth the investment for serious golfers.
About the club I own
- Model: 2022 Titleist Vokey SM9
- Loft: 50 and 60
- Bounce: 14
- Grind: F
- Finish: Matte Black
- Average Score: 75-80
- Handicap: 5
- Experience: 15 years of playing golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Golf Ball Used: ProV1
- Angle of Attack: Steep
- When I bought the wedge: August 2022
- Days tested: 6 months
- Where I’ve used it: I used it on different courses in various locations but primarily at the simulator, where most of my data comes from.
- Weather Conditions: Sunny, cloudy, windy, and rainy conditions.
- Green Conditions: Varies from Bermuda to bent grass, and green speeds from slow to fast.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a wedge that would provide consistent spin and control around the greens and offer versatility for different types of shots and turf conditions.
Why I chose this club
I chose the Titleist Vokey SM9 wedge because of its reputation for spin control and its various grind options for different shots. I also appreciated the high-quality construction and durability of the club. I was also looking into TaylorMade Milled wedges; however, I was primarily focused on the SM9.
What I love about it
- Launch:** **The club provides a consistent and predictable launch angle, allowing me to hit a variety of shots with confidence. While consistent, the launch angle on the SM9 can be a bit low for some players, requiring adjustments in setup or swing to achieve the desired results.
- Forgiveness: While not the most forgiving club out there, the Vokey SM9 does offer some forgiveness on off-center hits, allowing for decent results even on less-than-perfect strikes. However, off-center hits can result in a significant loss of distance and accuracy.
- Feel: The feel of the club is excellent, with a solid and consistent impact feel and good feedback on shots.
- Spin: This is where the Vokey SM9 really shines. The club offers excellent spin control, allowing precise shot placement and stopping power on the greens.
- Bounce: The grind options available on the SM9 allow for versatile shot-making around the greens, with the club able to handle a variety of turf conditions and shot types.
- Around the Green: The club's spin control and versatility make it a great choice for shots around the green, whether it's a bump-and-run or a high-flop shot.
- Shaft Feel: The stock wedge shaft feels solid and responsive, providing good feedback on shots.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The classic design of the Vokey SM9 is appealing and has a timeless look. The jet-black look and small head profile give the user a tour-like appearance and a club that they can be confident will play as well as it looks.
- Grip Feel: The stock grip is comfortable and provides good traction and feel.
- Full Shots: While primarily a wedge, the Vokey SM9 can hit full shots with good results, and its design favors shots around the green. But some players may prefer a more traditional iron for full shots. When looking at the technology of this club, the smaller head provides me with less forgiveness; however, it gives me a consistent spin and feel.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Other: While solid and responsive, the stock shaft may not be the best fit for all players and may require customization to achieve optimal results.
Best Shot with this Wedge
One of my best shots with the Vokey SM9 wedge was a high-flop shot from a tight lie over a bunker. The club provided excellent spin control and allowed me to stop the ball on the green.
Value for the money vs. other options
The Titleist Vokey SM9 wedge is priced higher than some competitors. Still, it's worth the investment for serious golfers who value precision and feel. Compared to cheaper options like the Callaway Jaws and Cleveland Zipcore wedges, the SM9 offers better spin control and more consistency on shots, while compared to more expensive options like the TaylorMade Milled Grind wedges, it offers better performance at a similar price point.
The Titleist Vokey SM9 wedge is a top-of-the-line club that unlocks precise control and exceptional performance for serious golfers. Its consistent spin, forgiveness, and feel make it a reliable choice for a variety of shots and situations on the course.