Expert Review: Odyssey Eleven S PutterPublished on 08/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2023.
All photos by Bryan Friedman
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter, which I purchased with my own money in June of 2023.
The Odyssey Eleven S Putter is well-designed and should suit all skill levels and handicaps. It is engineered to be balanced at address and promote superior alignment for all putts. The look is somewhat basic, with a matte black finish and white insert within the stroke area, but the lines encourage confidence.
About the club I own
- Model: 2022 Odyssey Eleven S putter
- Shape: Mallet
- Hosel Neck: S bend hosel
- Balance Point: Neutral
- Shaft Length: 35”
- Grip Type: Oversize Odyssey
- Finish: Black
- Average Score: 85
- Handicap: 11
- Experience: 25 years of golf
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Stroke Type: Low Arc
- Golf Ball Used: PROV1x
- Height: 6’2”
- When I bought the putter: June 2023
- Days tested: 5
- Where I’ve used it: Practice green and golf course in Eastern PA
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Hot and humid
- Green Speed: Moderate
- Grass Type: Rye and bluegrass
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was looking for a club with a more balanced feel in my hands at address. I also desired a club crown with alignment aids.
Why I chose this club
After testing this putter in-store and at my local putting green, I bought it because it has a white insert in the face and did not feel like the toe/heel hung too much to one side. I considered a Scotty Cameron Phantom X putter but decided on the Odyssey due to its lower cost and availability.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: The face has a muted feel when striking the ball, which I prefer to a more active (forceful) feedback.
- Weight: The weight from the grip down to the head feels excellent in my hands. The club promotes a great connection between arms, hands, and handle, which allows me to achieve more accurate roll speed.
- Alignment: This model of the Odyssey putter offers excellent alignment due to the aim lines on the crown of the head. Once I have my putt line picked out, it is simple to address the ball, line up hands and shoulders, and execute the stroke.
- Length: The Odyssey is sized in alignment with my wrist to floor length as well as my typical putting stroke. The length and shaft bend are an excellent accompaniment to my putting stroke.
- Grip Feel: I love the oversize Odyssey grip on this Eleven putter. It’s just the right thickness for my size hands (medium), which promotes solid contact and feel.
- Balance: The balance struck me first as an added benefit to this putter. The clubhead does not have too much toe hang or heel hang. The balance in the Odyssey Eleven shines through for a player such as myself with a minimal arc to their stroke.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The top-line views when standing over putts are appealing with this Odyssey Eleven putter. The lines encourage confidence with the black matte finish and clean white alignment lines.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Forgiveness: This putter is not as forgiving as my previous putter. Some strikes off-center were not auto-corrected by any technology built in.
- Customization: Nothing is really customized with this Odyssey putter. I wish players could add custom words or sayings on the side of the club head, as competitor manufacturers offer. Customized colors would be a fun option as well.
Best Putt or Round with this Putter
The first time using this putter, I began my round four out of four in terms of one-putts on the green. I nailed a 50-foot putt on the sixth hole with two breaks in it uphill. The Odyssey Eleven S really helped me to visualize the putt, line up, and get a solid feel for the speed.
Value for the money vs. other options
This Odyssey Eleven S Putter is in the middle tier of putters in terms of cost. It is certainly not the most expensive in the category, but it is not cheap at around $300 for a new one. The engineering and quality build help to justify the cost, though. Other high-end putters like Scotty Cameron offer more shaft bend customizations and color/graphics. Cheaper options such as Tour Edge do not have the engineering of materials or alignment lines provided with the Odyssey.
The Odyssey Eleven S Putter is an excellent choice for all skill levels. The balanced head and alignment properties make it a simple club to execute many solid putts. The white insert in the face promotes the ball starting online.