Callaway Wedges: How to ChoosePublished on 08/25/2023 · 9 min readChoosing Callaway wedges made easy! Learn how to select the right wedge for your game, from loft options to bounce and grinds. Elevate your short game!
Photo by Good Patrick
Tl;dr: When buying Callaway wedges, consider your skill level, preferred loft, size, and bounce. Callaway offers various models like the JAWS, CB, and Mack Daddy, to have an offering fit for everyone. Options span from forgiving designs for beginners to less forgiving, more precise models for seasoned players.
Before joining Curated as a Golf Expert in 2021, I was a college golfer and a caddie at a private club for players of all skill levels. I am now a certified product and fitting specialist for many of the top manufacturers in the world. I love playing and talking about golf! I help match players here on Curated with clubs that work best for their game all day.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you’ll need to know about choosing the best Callaway wedges for your game.
Callaway is a renowned American golf equipment company founded in 1982 by Ely Callaway Jr. Based out of California, Callaway is known for producing top golf clubs, balls, and accessories. They're especially known for their wedges, which provide excellent control and accuracy due to their cutting-edge technology and craftsmanship. Players around the world choose Callaway wedges for their durability, precision, and innovation, and their ability to assist all levels of golfers to improve their short game.
What to Consider When Buying Callaway Wedges
1. What is your skill level?
Understanding your skill level is essential as Callaway Golf offers wedges suitable for beginners, intermediates, and professionals. For beginners, a more forgiving cavity back design might be ideal, while seasoned players might opt for wedges that offer better control, precision, and shot making.
2. What type of wedge do you need?
Wedges come in different types: pitching, gap, sand, or lob. Each serves a different purpose, so it's essential to identify which type fits your play style and course requirements best.
3. What is your preferred size and bounce?
The size of the wedge, particularly the shaft length, should correspond to your height and arm length. A correctly sized wedge ensures comfort and optimizes your swing mechanics. 'Bounce' refers to the area of the club that hits the ground. Depending on course conditions and your swing style, you might need a low, medium, or high bounce.
4. What type of courses do you usually play on?
Course conditions should influence your wedge choice as well. For example, soft sand or turf necessitates a wedge with higher bounce, while a low-bounce wedge works best on firmer grounds.
5. How much should a Callaway wedge cost?
Callaway wedges are among the more premium options on the market. New wedges range from $150-$200, while older models can be found closer to the $100 price point. Older wedges provide good performance for casual players, while the newest models feature the leading technology on the market for more performance and durability.
If you play frequently and are looking for more premium options, look into the best offerings Callaway has like the new JAWS. If you are a casual player, consider an older model like the Mack Daddy 5.
What Are the Different Types of Callaway Wedges
When selecting golf equipment, it’s important to understand all of your options. Callaway has wedges built for all skill levels and course conditions. Let's look into these unique wedge types to help you make the best choice for your game.
1. JAWS Wedges
The JAWS wedges, released in 2022, are the newest in the Callaway players line. Known for their aggressive groove design, which allows for exceptional spin and control, this wedge family is the continuation of what used to be the Mack Daddy (MD) line. Callaway uses a proprietary manufacturing process to create a sharper edge, providing golfers with consistent performance on a variety of shots. The JAWS wedges feature tungsten for the first time in a Callaway wedge to better balance the weight and center of gravity. The Offset-Groove-in-Groove technology allows for more spin in a variety of conditions, especially increasing spin in wet conditions.
- High-spin performance for exceptional control
- Consistent performance across different shots
- Range of loft and grind options
- Keep in Mind:
- Higher price point as a premium option on the market
- RAW Face means the face will rust over time
2. CB (Cavity Back) Wedges
The new 2023 CB (Cavity Back) Wedges are engineered for balance and consistency, featuring a cavity back design that distributes weight across the club for a larger sweet spot. They are perfect for players seeking consistency and forgiveness on full swing shots.
- Balanced and consistent performance
- Cavity back design for increased forgiveness
- Wide range of loft options
- Keep in Mind:
- Lacks the level of precision found in other models
- Not optimal for golfers who prefer a blade-style wedge
3. Mack Daddy Wedges
The Callaway Mack Daddy wedges, developed with input from golf legend Roger Cleveland, are designed for elite-level control and precision. These wedges offer a wide range of loft and grind options, allowing players to pick combinations that work best for their course conditions and game. The Groove-In-Groove technology provides enhanced spin for better control on the green. The Mack Daddy Family has been improved on by the new JAWS wedges above.
- Excellent control and precision
- Wide variety of grind and loft options
- Innovative groove technology for increased spin
- Keep in Mind:
- May not be suitable for beginners needing more forgiveness
- Now an older model, doesn't perform as consistently as the JAWS
Each wedge type has a unique role in a golfer's bag, and using them effectively can help improve shot-making and lower scores.
Features to Look for When Buying Callaway Wedges
There are a number of specific features and technologies that make Callaway wedges stand out. Here are a few key ones you should consider:
- Groove-In-Groove Technology: Found in Mack Daddy and JAWS wedges, this technology features micro-grooves on the clubface for maximum spin. The main grooves are angled to optimize spin, while the micro-grooves between them add an extra layer of control.
- Cavity Back Design: Featured in CB wedges, this design distributes weight around the club's perimeter to create a larger sweet spot. This results in higher forgiveness, making it easier to hit consistent shots. It's especially useful if you're a high handicapper or if your ball striking isn't as consistent as you'd like it to be.
- Multiple Grind Options: Many Callaway wedges offer multiple grind options to fit your swing and course conditions. Whether you have a steep or shallow attack angle, or if you play on soft or firm turf, there's a grind option that can improve your short game.
Remember, the best wedge for you will depend on your skill level, typical course conditions, and personal preference.
How to Choose the Right Callaway Wedge
Choosing the right wedge can be a tricky task. Now that we’ve talked over the different types of Callaway wedges and some of the main technologies, it’s time to look into the best options for you. Below I’ve described a few different golfers, in varying skill level and needs, and matched some great options that would fit their game.
A new golfer looking for an easy-to-play wedge.
Needs: A cavity back design for more forgiveness, and a higher bounce wedge for more consistency in contact.
Wedges to consider:
- Callaway CB Wedge (2023): The new Callaway CB wedge is available in lofts from 48-60 in 2 degree intervals. These wedges feature a confidence-inspiring clubhead with a forgiving cavity back design, and a larger bounce with a leading edge chamfer (engineered to help reduce digging) to provide extra consistency. The 54 through 60 degree wedges feature full face grooves.
- Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge (2020): The Mack Daddy CB is an older but still high-performing cavity backed wedge. It provides a seamless transition from cavity backed irons. Aggressive grooves help keep the spin high in this forgiving wedge.
A more experienced golfer who is consistent in wedge play and is looking for more shot shaping and control than a CB wedge could offer.
Needs: A player’s style wedge that will give more control, with multiple bounce and grind options to cater to their exact course and swing needs.
Wedges to consider:
- Callaway JAWS Raw Wedge: The premium players wedge in Callaway’s wedge lineup features the most aggressive grooves in golf. For the first time ever, tungsten is introduced into a Callaway wedge for enhanced balance. The Raw finish will result in rusting on the scoring part of the face over time. This wedge offers exceptional spin especially in wet conditions.
- Callaway JAWS Raw Full Face Wedge: Very similar to the JAWS Raw above, this wedge takes the same aggressive grooves and extends them across the toe portion of the face as well. This gives ball-to-groove contact on every shot that hits the face, resulting in more spin and control, especially on shots missed off the toe.
- Callaway JAWS Raw Full Toe Wedge: This wedge extends on the Raw Full Face Wedge with more surface area on the toe. The blade length is a touch wider and taller than the Full Face to offer special performance for shots around the green and especially from the bunker in Callaway’s special “J” grind.
- Callaway JAWS MD5 Wedge: Released in 2019, this wedge was improved upon by the new JAWS Raw lineup. This wedge still features aggressive grooves, but lacks the tungsten weighting, increased hosel length, and some improved grinds to name a few differences compared to the new JAWS lineup. For players looking for a player’s style wedge that might offer a little more bang for your buck, consider the MD5.
Find the Best Callaway Wedge for You
Callaway has been working with one of the best wedge designers in history, Roger Cleveland, for the last 25 years to fine-tune and manufacture some of the best wedges in the game. It offers a range of wedges that players of all skill levels can enjoy, from beginners to top professionals in the game. Chat with me or one of my fellow Golf Experts here on Curated for free, personalized advice on finding the right wedges for your game!