Expert Review: Henckels Statement 8-inch Chef's KnifePublished on 09/10/2023 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the knife, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2019.
All photos by Myles Biedermann
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the knife, which I purchased with my own money in May of 2019.
The Henckels Statement 8” Chef Knife is the ideal knife for the beginner-intermediate skilled home chef looking for a workhorse in their kitchen. The knife is ideal because it’s affordable, durable, sharp, and balanced. The knife can slice and chop any vegetables and meat found in one’s kitchen.
About the gear
- Model: Henckels Statement
- Knife type: Chef
- Blade Length: 8”
- Handle Material: Triple rivet, polyoxyethylene material, full tang
- Handle Shape: Traditional
- Experience: I’ve been cooking for 10+ years
- When I bought it: May 2019
- Days tested: Almost daily since 2019
- What I’ve used it on: Poultry, beef, vegetables, fruit
- Foods I’ve found it best for: Vegetables, poultry, meat, and fish
- Surfaces I’ve used it on: Bamboo cutting boards, plastic
- Sharpening/Honing routine: Henckels honing rod used weekly
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was hunting for a budget-friendly chef’s knife from a reputable brand that would be a workhorse in the kitchen. The Henckels Statement Chef’s Knife has exceeded my expectations in the kitchen.
Why I chose this gear
This knife at the time of purchase was within my budget. Henckels also has a fantastic warranty, should I ever need it. I knew that Henckels was a well-known brand amongst professional chefs. I purchased this knife after looking at a few other options, such as the Victorinox Chef knife. I found the Henckels knife to have better reviews regarding durability and sharpness. The Henckels knife was also a little less expensive.
What I love about it
- Durability: This chef’s knife is very durable in the kitchen. I use this knife almost daily to cut various types of food. This knife is very easy to keep sharp using a simple honing rod.
- Versatility: I have found this knife to be very versatile. I use it to cut meat, including beef and poultry. I also often cut various vegetables, such as carrots, onions, and celery. This knife has handled any task I have thrown at it.
- Balance: The Henckels knife is very balanced in the hand. I have medium-sized hands, and the handle fits very comfortably. When I use the knife to chop various vegetables and meats, I immediately notice how balanced the knife is.
- Weight: This knife is an ideal weight. It’s not too heavy but not too light. The weight is 7.02oz.
- Flexibility: The knife is sturdy and does not flex as much as other knives I have used. I prefer a stiffer knife as it allows me to apply more pressure to denser foods such as carrots and onions.
- Performance with Hard Vegetables: I use this knife often to chop onions, celery, and carrots, which I consider hard vegetables. This knife always exceeds my expectations when chopping hard vegetables.
- Applications: The Henckels knife is best for chopping vegetables and carving/slicing meat.
- Handle Profile: This chef’s knife is very ergonomic. I can firmly grip the knife and find the handle profile very comfortable.
- Blade Profile: The profile is a classic chef’s knife shape. It functions great as the V-shape edge blade profile makes for smooth cutting and allows for thin material slicing. The blade is made from high-quality German stainless steel.
- Blade Length: The blade length is 8”, which I find the ideal length in the kitchen for a chef’s knife.
- Blade material: High Carbon German stainless steel with a V-shape edge.
- Ergonomics: The Henckels knife is ergonomic and comfortable to hold.
- Features: As mentioned, this knife is manufactured with high-quality German stainless steel. The handle features a full tang handle with triple rivets. The knife is dishwasher safe as well.
- Quality of materials: The German stainless steel is of great quality, especially for the price point.
- Warranty: Henckels offers a limited lifetime warranty, which is typical amongst other companies. Their warranty is very satisfactory and is an industry standard.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Protein fabrication: Blade is not flexible or thin enough to filet a fish. However, I have used this knife to debone chicken, carve a turkey, and slice steak and fish. This knife has suited me very well during these tasks.
Favorite moment with this gear
My favorite moment with this knife was when I cooked my first Thanksgiving turkey when I hosted the holiday at my new home. This knife performed well. It was very sharp and easily carved the turkey.
Value for the money vs. other options
The value of this knife is great. This knife can be found for around $25, which is a great price point for most home chefs. It’s hard to find a knife of this quality at this budget-friendly price point. The Misen 8” Chef’s Knife is a competitive, slightly more expensive option. I would still recommend the Henckels Statement over the Misen due to the value and quality one receives for approximately $25.
I would be hard-pressed to find another knife of this quality that matches all of the great qualities the Henckels Statement provides. I would not hesitate to recommend this knife to anyone looking for a new chef’s knife to add to their arsenal in the kitchen.